Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dsnd_medic

Mandrake 10 Login Problem

Hi

I have played around with redhat 9 for a few weeks but decided I like to see another linux version, so I loaded up Mandrake 10.

I overwrote redhat so it's the only system on my good old dell GXpro. I have 128M of RAM. It loaded OK but when it came to logging onto it, it didn't give me a graphical login box I had expected only a text based one. I logged in as a user and gave it the password and it simply went to a screen text prompt. There was no Xwindows. I was

stumped, I tried startx but it didn't like that !! can anyone help

me out here, do I need to re-install it ?

Look forward to some comments, it too ages to load it up. Redhat was so easy to load.

Thanks

Andy

Hi!

Try logging into it as root and type "XFdrake".

Thanks, I'll give it a try, my only concern is that I will have to do this everytime I boot up the system. If this is the case where can I add code/script to correct the problem or is this the norm for mandrake ?

Thanks

Andy

As vhf said, run XFdrake and experiment. You'll want to choose a monitor and video card from the lists that are exactly yours or close to it. Try different resolutions and setting until one works. If you can't get configured with XFdrake you might have to configure your monitor "by hand." What is the make and model of your monitor and video card?

Originally posted by dsnd_medic:

Quote:
my only concern is that I will have to do this everytime I boot up the system.

Andy

Don't worry. XFdrake saves the configuration you choose.