Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

MSN Messenger Client

It took me a while to figure it out (yea yea, start flaming!), but the best MSN Messenger client for Linux is GAIM smile

Just load the right plugin, called "libmsn.so", then go to "accounts", set up the screenname as loginname, click "mail notification" and "autologin" and you're set to go!

Make sure u select Mozilla as default browser, otherwise u won't be able to go straight to your Inbox at login....at least, for me, Konqueror it didn't like the URL. Mail notification works properly (i.e u get a pop-up with new mail!) as well.

Excellent

Considering me being a KDE junky, I use KMerlin, which works fine. I am an avid user of Sim as ICQ client...

Quote:
Have you tried MSN Messenger for Linux http://amsn.sourceforge.net . I've never used it but alot of people like it.

Hey that looks nice too, I installed it today morning and it worked perfectly. I guess it's a matter of taste now, the functionality is better in AMSN, but the looks are owned by GAIM smile

I am a firm believer in gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net). It works wonderfully with almost every im protocol out there. plus the automatic logging of all conversations (and i mean everything that is sent and received) is soo nice. I love the way it uses plugins for adding new protocols.

manifest

I am a newbie... almost completely. I would like to try out this GAIM, but am not sure what to download or how to compile... or basically how to get it to install and work.

It's so wierd not knowing how to do the simple things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I figured it all out. The only problem now is that I can't figure out how to put it in the "start" menu. laugh

I never figured out, and still haven't...

How to send and receive files with GAIM using the MSN protocol... Does this feature exist?

Quote:

How to send and receive files with GAIM using the MSN protocol... Does this feature exist?

GAIM does not support file transfer as of yet.

I have downloaded msn messenger for linux. Its really fantastic. Never thought in a program like this. Too nice forum and too helpfull.

Sorry by my english, in fact, i speak spanish.

See you ...

I'm clueless :x . New to linux as of two nights ago. I haven't installed any new aplications yet. I just can't figure it out. I want to install aMSN as a starter. I not quite sure what I need to download. I donwloaded the aMSN RPM so far. But can't get that to install either. Or if i did I don't know how to run it. laugh . I told you I'm clueless right now. I really want to give linux a honest try. smile I think what I need is a step by step instructions laugh . All the other instructions just left me clueless stil.

I pretty much use most of the messanger clients in linux, GAIM = multiple logons, but no ability to transfer files. AMSN = single client, file transfers, very fast, automatically downloads buddy list from MSN server. LICQ = Just plain ol narly like it's ICQ cousin, you never know how it is going to behave from one day to the next, and you have manually add buddies..

It all comes down to preference and what you do the most off. I usually sit in GAIM most of the time until someone talks to me, then I switch to AMSN for file transfers laugh

You can't transfer files in GAIM? Is that because of your use of MSN in it? I can transfer files using the AIM portion without any problems.

I only use the icq and msn plugins with GAIM. Is the ability to transfer files another plugin that I didn't notice ?

Just thought I would add this, it is very limited.

Q. Can Gaim send files?

A. TOC can, in a limited way, and OSCAR can send files over AIM in CVS. Most protocols are capable of it, but Gaim hasn't implemented anything yet.

Q. When will file transfer be supported? Is it being worked on?

A. File transfer is currently being worked on in CVS. It will be released when it is ready, and no sooner. Do not ask for a more precise timeline. Currently it is only being worked on for AIM, MSN, Jabber and IRC. Get CVS and submit a patch using the generic file transfer api in Gaim if you would like it for another protocol.

Amsn works great for me ...

( )

a) su root

B) cd /home/username/.amsn/

c) vim config

( Makes your changes , even your default browser , save n' enjoy )

Amsn Rocks

Farewell

( )

a) su root

B) cd /home/username/.amsn/

c) vim config

( Make your changes , even your default browser , save n' enjoy )

Amsn Rocks

Farewell

Quote:
~If the doors of perception were cleansed,every thing would appear to man as it is.Infinite~ -William Blake

Hi,

Ok, amsn or gaim works fine but I can't chat on the msn chatrooms...

So, is it possible to go on the msn chatrooms? How?

Thx!!!

I'd like to install mandrake at home (windows is getting me off my nerves these days)

I wanted to know wether gaim or any other messenger service (compatible with msn users) supports a webcam and/or "vocal" conversations.

Homesick potential user...