Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Microsoft's AntiSpyware offering "beta #1" screenshot

I'd be happy with it if the app performs as good as AdAware Personal Edition smile

If MS charges for this, people would be nuts for buying it.

Come on MS. Fix your browser. Don't create other programs to cover for your browser's weaknesses.

From what I've heard from other users the beta is pretty much the same as the GIANT version. Just with an MS logo, missing innoculate and shredder. Probably missing since this is a beta ver.

Also from what I've heard GIANT seems to detect spyware bettern than ADAWARE/Spybot.

I can easily see MS using the tech with SMS/AD.

[Edited by dosfreak on 2005-01-04 02:21:31]

Detecting spyware is one thing, but sorting the good from the bad and eliminating the latter is altogether a different matter. The problem is massive and I've yet to find any software that doesn't require rather blind judgements by the user from time to time and which doesn't ultimately end up corrupting the Registry.

I tested Giant before Microsoft bought it out. It was a pretty nice program. It is proactive rather than a retroactive program in relation to catching spyware. This means it runs in memory and tries to shield your machine before a "suspicious" cookie or a registry entry can be made. Unless you get the Subscription Ad-aware package, Ad-aware can only retroactively find what has already been downloaded to your computer and then eliminate it. I presume that Microsoft bought Giant because it offers this feature. PestPatrol was the other proactive pest controller, but it was purchase by Computer Associates.

It does timeout in July APK frown

Then it'll be pay-as-you-go...

For those who think we are whining about M$ charging for the software.....

To me it looks like a conflict of interest for them. They could look at their "TO-DO" lists and say....well that big spyware going around today we could fix easily but let's provide the "fix" in our latest definitions to provide an incentive to buy the spyware product. When they could just release a hotfix for the software that is affected.....

The good thing is that once the freeware spyware programs get competition from this software (yeah, it was already out there but not well known), they'll inovate and outdo this product. Well all know what happens to the software that M$ buys out now don't we? wink