Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

Networking

Hi i have just put on mandrake 10.1 on my pc never used linux before so a little lost i cant seem to get on the internet i have a onboard 10/100 network card and an extunal adsl router, i have gone through all the wisards and put in all the correct ip address etc but nothing happens i cant even access the rounter in telnet or a browser using 192.168.1.1 can some one please help me... thanks

It will help a lot if you can tell us about your computer. Motherboard, onboard NIC type, etc. danleff is good on this type stuff if you can fill us in on your hardware. smile

hi umm computer is a AMD athlon Xp1700+ 512ddr ram, shuttle ak39n mainboard has onboard network via-rhine II 10/100 dose any of this help?? thanks alot

My knowledge of ADSL is limited, but this motherboard has a via 6103 onboard lan, I believe.

Your connection to the isp is static or dynamic? I would think that you just need to use dhcp to get a connection, unless you have a specific setup?

I assume that the onboard lan is connected to the router?

In the Control Center, does you card show up as an option to configure?

I also noticed that you posted another thread about drivers. Before trying to install additional drivers, could you post where you found the driver and what led you to believe that you needed the additional driver? In other words, did you find this as a possible solution somewhere? Mandrake should pick up your onboard lan, as long as it is enabled in the bios, without additional drivers.

When you installed Mandrake, did you go with the default install with the 2.6 kernel?

hi

I belive it to be static as in i put all the ip and dns numbers in, dhcp dose not seem to work either ive try that ant maunal config and nothing cant access router in telnet or browser,

Yes ive connected network cable from pc to router i have windos on same pc and net works fine

yes it dose show up in the control centre and yes you can config it

no mandrake did find a driver but i just wanted to try a linux driver that came on the motherboard cd

When i installed mandrake 10.1 from the downloadable iso images it didnt ask me what kernal i wanted being new to linux i would even know what that is??

thanks

OK...let's go step by step.

The lan card is connected by a cat5 network cable only? You do not have the usb connected to the system from the router as well?

When you set up the card, it looks like you went right to adding in the ip values...in other words static configuration. Are you sure that the isp is not dynamic? In dynamic setups, you do not need to put in the values for ip and dns. Just choose DHCP and skip the ip address and so on, just hitting the enter key (do not add any values) when going through the wizard. And, when going through the wizard, you are choosing "lan" to go through the wizard? In other words, this is the choice that you are using, attempting to configure the lan card, not the router?

This is what I would do, as it has been reported in the compatability section that this board works fine with Linux.

Try getting to a terminal window, as root, and type in the following;

lspcidrake | grep -i eth

See if you get some output, like;

e100........Intel Corp....

Let us know what the result is.

Try deleting all the entries in the Control Center for the current tries that you did.

Re-boot the system and get back into the Control Center, adding a new connection for lan.

Pick DHCP on bootup and follow the wizard, again, not adding any static values, just keep hitting the enter key when asked for such, allowing the configuration to finish.

Re-boot the system again and see if the connection comes up.

As you boot the system and the text scrolls by, you should see;

eth0...................OK.

If this fails, let us know.

Thanks for the reply about the kernel. Some folks use custom kernels on install. I just wanted to make sure.

About the driver on the cd. What we don't know, is what the driver was written for, the older kernel (2.4) or the version that comes with Mandrake (2.6 series). Often, they are written for older distros that did not have support for the lan card. Mandrake 10 should. So, before installing such a driver, let's see if Mandrake picks up the onboard card, which it should. It did on mine, after a few tries.

hows it going?

yeah so i went to control centre and removed all the connections,

rebooted pc and like ya said pick dhcp on everything didnt enter anything my self, rebooted pc and saw the the eth0 int the text boot mode had failed,

So i went back put in mu ip numbers etc and reboot pc and then it said in text boot eth0 OK sits on this for a 2 or 3 mins tho that mean anything????

but still cant get on net or anything or access router in broswer or telnet

I all so typed (as root) ispcidrake | grep -i eth

it said there was no such command i then did just the grep -i eth

part and it just sat there and nothing

in widows i enter my own ip and dns numbers etc and it works fine

if that helps ya??

Thanks

Try as root user;

lspcidrake | grep -i eth

not

ispcidrake | grep -i eth

OK, if you have to input your own values in Windows, then this is a static connection.

Then try ifconfig. again as root user and see if the values are the same as on the Windows system. You should see two entries, one for lo (local) and another for eth0, which should be the internet connection.

well the Ispcidrake | grep -i eth still came up as no such command ??

in mandrake ifconfig had under

eth0:

inet addr: 192.168.1.2 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0

now i know in windows 192.168.1.2 in my pc's ip and submask is 255.255.255.0 but Bcast???? never seen it in windows

in mandrake ifconfig had under

lo:

inet addr 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0

never seen those numbers anywhere in windows???

is any of this any help??

thanks again!!!!