Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Donna Novak

PCI card

If I install a PCI card in my computer can I disable the old/original one in Device Manager or does it have to go through the BIOS.

The old one is attached to the Motherboard. How do I go about installing a new one?

Thanks

Originally posted by Donna Novak:

Quote:
If I install a PCI card in my computer can I disable the old/original one in Device Manager or does it have to go through the BIOS.

The old one is attached to the Motherboard. How do I go about installing a new one?

Thanks

I'm guessing you're replacing your sound card or similar. Although you can disable items in Device Manager, it's best to disable them in the BIOS (this can free up valuable system resources). Once in your BIOS (pressing F1/F2 or DEL etc. at startup), they'll be a section called 'On-board Devices' or something similar. You can set the item you wish to disable to be On, Off or Auto. Auto is supposed to be able to sense that you have placed an addin PCI card and should turn off the item in question automatically; although sometimes this doesn't always work as expected. It's best to set an on-board device to Off if you replace it's functionality with a PCI card.

Do this before you install the new card. Once the BIOS has disabled the on-board hardware, install the PCI card and Windows will run through it's driver routine as normal.

I just wanted to mention that it's not always possible to disable an integrated component in BIOS. This is typical if it is a brand-name computer (like Acer).

Originally posted by mnas:

Quote:
I just wanted to mention that it's not always possible to disable an integrated component in BIOS. This is typical if it is a brand-name computer (like Acer).

Most of the motherboards you are able to disable integrated components in the BIOS, the older ones had jumpers to disable it, but most of the new ones you can disable it in BIOS or at times it disables itself (like Ross said) once you've installed the AGP/PCI card