Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zorjamm

New to Linux (help with Network)

Hi all.

Im new to Linux, and well have heard so many nice things about it, so I finally took the plundge and went to my local store to get a copy, im using the Suse linux 9.2, anyway, Installed it with no problem, but now Im trying to get my WG511 Netgear wireless card to talk to my router so I can then get on internet, although Im not too sure of all the correct settings, but Linux does see it as its correct name.

Ive been reading a lot of pages where people have had problems, but there level of expertise is far greater than mine, so Im wondering if anyone can help me get this to work, as Im very puzzled and wish to really give Linux a shot.

Thanks in advance.

Happy new Year

According to Linux-wlan, there is a WG511 and a WG511T. The regular 511 used the PrismGT chipset so if that's what you have, you should be good to go. On the other hand, the 511T uses the atheros chipset and reportedly works fine with the madwifi module.

If 511T, this page should be a great help.

By the way, if your gonna fool with Linux to any extent, bookmark the Linux-lan page. It is an invaluable resource. smile

Thanks for that, but I just have the wg511 and not the 511T, so its using a dif chipset.

tried lots of things, but getting frustratingly lost along the way. - so if you know of anything I can try, then Please feel free to comment.

using Suse 9.2

thanks.

p.s after chekcing various bits and bobs within Linux, I have 2 nextwork cards, my onboard lan, and my wirless card, I have tried to disable the onboard one via the bios but still it shows within linux, is there a way I can disable is within this os?

cheers

Disabling a network interface ?

Nothing easier than this:

If you want to swich off "eth0", for example, enter "ifconfig eth0 down" in a terminal window and you're done, independent from the distro.

But "ifconfig eth0 up" does not necessarily bring it up again...

It depends from your distro. Probably the most common way is "/etc/init.d/network start".

But please don't take me for guilty, not all distro's are eaqual and thus your mileage may vary.

Looking into "/etc/init.d" is always a good idea, of course.

Have you tried configuring your wireless card within Yast2? If not, look in "Network Devices" -> "Network Card." You should have no problems changing and configuring your cards there. Do both of them show up? Configure the wireless card and delete the profile on you onboard NIC. Ciick "Change" -> "Edit" -> and "Advanced" to configure your wireless NIC.

Thanks Holdger, I'll give that a shot.

Dapper Dan, Yeah as fas as I can tell the card is all setup fine, with the correct IP's and network IDs etc for my router (the same configuration used on my windows), but with the WG511 card, the lights should flash on the card, although Linux sees the card and reports that its there despite it already being configured but its still says that its not if i click on "details"..

I read somewhere about the "ifup" command,

and manually booting the device up

But no matter what I try, nothing seems to give.

I've been reading up on your card and I've seen a couple of posts and threads that suggest there is trouble with your card if it is "made in China."

Just to make sure, this is a PCMCIA card and not a pci?

Some thoughts:

After booting up do you get any lights whatsoever? How about when you pull it out, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in? Are you using WEP encryption? Make sure to disable it from your router and your card until you get it working.

When you do:

lsmod | more

Do you see anything there about "Prism GT" or "Prism" next to your device?

When you boot, does your box try to bring up the network at eth0? Does it hang there? How about on eth1?

I'm just wondering if the correct module is being loaded. Have a look at this page. Your card is listed right at the top as working with the Prism 54 drivers.

What is the output of:

/sbin/ifconfig

?

Can you post that here?

I know it's a drag you can't get this working since everything I've seen says the Netgear wg511 should work without problems. This has got to be frustrating for you but hang in there, we'll get it sorted somehow... smile

Thanks Dan for your support and time, I actully managed to get it working, here's how:

Instead of using the wireless card to connect, I just used the onboard lan at eth0, connected manually to my router after configured, and wham! I was connected, now here was the best part, using Suse auto updates, it updated a new Firmware for Prism GT chipsets for wlan 802 cards smile (they were not allowed to add this as part of the driver disc apprently)

After a reboot, I had my lights flashing and all was ok..

So really appriciate your efforts invloved.....but smile......Now I wish to install my ATI Radeon mobility 9700 Graphics drivers for Linux....Any clue smile

>--Gets his coat......

That's really great news! Glad it's working for you! smile

Originally posted by zorjamm:

Quote:
Now I wish to install my ATI Radeon mobility 9700 Graphics drivers for Linux....Any clue smile

Hmmm...

Quote:
>--Gets his coat......

While you're out, stop by the computer store and buy an Nvidia. wink

Thanks for this as I have a Netgear WG511T and have yet to get it working with Linux. I now have the pointer for madwifi which I didn't have before, and also the hint that SuSE Linux 9.2 may have some updates.

What isn't mentioned is if there is any difference with 64 bit Linux. I have an AMD64 laptop running SuSE Linux 9.2 (64 bit).

I am therefore wary of recompiling support software as things can get installed in different locations such as lib64 instead of lib on the 64 bit systems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John