Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Annoying things on the forum

Now I know some people aren't as tech savvy as some of us. But don't you guys find it odd that there are alot of users here with 1 post asking for a solution and then never showing up again?

I run across messages about my DVD drive doesn't read DVD discs anymore? Honestly how does that work?

There are so many posts about the SIMS 2. One of the threads complains about the same DX 9.0c problem, and it almost feels like the same guy/gal posting over and over again with multiple accounts.....

Some of the questions about integrated graphics is really scary, and its so annoying to see a thread titled, "HELP ME NOW" or "MAJOR PROBLEMS" etc, then you go to read the post and it says I can't run NFS Underground 2 under Windows XP, please help!!!!!!!

Well I can't help yah without system specs, or where the issue comes up, or driver revisions, etc, but this is the persons 1st post and then even after we reply and give them advice, they are never to be seen again. If you are new to computers then thats cool, we will help you just say "what the heck is a driver" or "patches?" we can explain easily, just don't get overly frustrated we have all been there.

Yeah thats about it...

The one that really gets me is "untitled thread".

Phillip, would it be possible to either disable the message content box until there is a subject typed in or provide an error message if there is no subject.

Next, like pmistry I would like to see a SIMS2 specific room and the mods shift any new SIMS2 threads from other places into it. Then lock the threads with 1 or 2 posts with a re-director to the 110+ post thread cause they all need the same answer. That being "get a ATI or NVidia card and re-download the full directx9c".

I can't remember being that I am writing this and can't check, but is there a "sticky" feature here? If so it would help the SIMS2 stuff.

Perhaps also a "readme first" that comes up when you create an account where the first 3 points are:

1. Don't ask for warez, cracks, serials or illegal ways to circumvent copy protection.

2. Don't flame or incite flaming.

3. Don't expect answers by email.

This wold have an Accept/Reject choice at the bottom and if you don't accept, no account.

I realise that Phillip and the mods have much other stuff to do however as this board is a commercial work in progress, perhaps some of this isn't a bad idea.

Another, though a little silly given that this is a board focused on Windows, perhaps a single "Console Issues" room for the inevitable questions that occasionally surface.

Just my thoughts for stuff for the new year.

F

I know what you mean there, pmistry wink

I noticed there's a freaking spam ad by versoft in three different threads about webcams, bah humbug frown

Closed/Deleted the advert threads.

As for The Sims 2 threads I've got an easy out. Redirect them to Sims 2 forums. If someone can find the official Maxis forums that would be great. NTCompatible is not Maxis and with such an overload of people, and with such simple questions Maxis should be handling the load.

Here's one Sims site I found: http://www.simtropolis.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=112

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Closed/Deleted the advert threads.

Thanks for taking care of this dosfreak smile

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
As for The Sims 2 threads I've got an easy out. Redirect them to Sims 2 forums. If someone can find the official Maxis forums that would be great. NTCompatible is not Maxis and with such an overload of people, and with such simple questions Maxis should be handling the load.

Here's one Sims site I found: http://www.simtropolis.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=112

Or at least paying Philip for the time and effort spent answering these questions laugh

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:

Next, like pmistry I would like to see a SIMS2 specific room and the mods shift any new SIMS2 threads from other places into it. Then lock the threads with 1 or 2 posts with a re-director to the 110+ post thread cause they all need the same answer. That being "get a ATI or NVidia card and re-download the full directx9c".

I can't remember being that I am writing this and can't check, but is there a "sticky" feature here? If so it would help the SIMS2 stuff.

This wouldn't be needed if both gaming forums were merged. Then we could stick a sticky thread at the top. IIRC, there was a sticky feature on the older board. Unless I'm blind and can't see it here.

Quote:

Perhaps also a "readme first" that comes up when you create an account where the first 3 points are:

1. Don't ask for warez, cracks, serials or illegal ways to circumvent copy protection.

2. Don't flame or incite flaming.

3. Don't expect answers by email.

This wold have an Accept/Reject choice at the bottom and if you don't accept, no account.

This is standard on other forums. Haven't noticed that NTCompatible doesn't have it since I signed on back in 2000. smile

Quote:
Another, though a little silly given that this is a board focused on Windows, perhaps a single "Console Issues" room for the inevitable questions that occasionally surface.

Just my thoughts for stuff for the new year.

F

Well if the NT/2000 and the XP/2003 forums were merged (This includes all 5 forums merged into the other 5 forums). We could have tons more forums without making the page too long and unsightly. A "Gaming News" and "Consoles" thread wouldn't be a bad idea......

Ah, Here we go: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread23542-1.html

More specifically the: Windows NT 4.0/2000 and 2003 Server Troubleshooting and the Windows NT 4.0 WKS/2000 and Windows XP Pro Troubleshooting sections and the Gaming forum.

I can see a couple of changes I could make to that list. (Can't do it now since it expired).

Merge DOS with 9x..mabye rearrange it a little.

All of that is too complicated what with trying to figure out which post is which....which is why we should go the simplest route and just merge the NT4/2000 forums with the XP/2003 forums.

[Edited by dosfreak on 2004-12-28 13:36:32]

[Edited by dosfreak on 2004-12-28 13:38:36]

Another thing I've noticed is how an "Untitled Thread" is somehow related to only other "Untitled Threads", hmm, just how can this be :P

Thanks for your suggestions. A few users are now even spamming the news and compatibilty results queue with their Sims 2 questions frown

The next forum update (planned for later next week) comes with merge/move features, which allows to merge multiple threads (e.g. all Sims 2 threads) into a single big thread.

Quote:
Well if the NT/2000 and the XP/2003 forums were merged (This includes all 5 forums merged into the other 5 forums). We could have tons more forums without making the page too long and unsightly.

This is also possible with the forum merge feature of the new forum version.

Perhaps you post a new one, because the new forum software can share a board between both (NT/Linux Compatible) sites smile

Quote:
IIRC, there was a sticky feature on the older board. Unless I'm blind and can't see it here.

This forum has a sticky feature: Moderator => Bump

I think you do hit upon something there APK, I think that many large OEM's, you know, Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway and what used to be IBM should think about not selling newbies a pig in a poke so to speak wink

When configuring a new system using only the on-board graphics and then of course what is the very first thing Jane/Joe Newb does, well purchase The Sims 2/KOTOR/Far Cry/HL2/Doom 3 etc... and wonders why they are having so many problems frown

The only real good thing that onboard graphics are good for is business users, perhaps even in schools as long as the edu software doesn't require a decent graphics card to operate properly.

I mean why not include an nVidia 5200 or an ATi 9200 as the minimum graphics card in these boxes for home users ?!? Cost, although it's not much more to add one of these cards anymore and besides the home user will need it for just the above reason I mentioned.

The company I work for, a system builder, has a really cheap $299 AMD Semprom box. Nothing fancy, a cheap as Jetway motherboard using onboard graphics, the 2400+ and 256MB of ram. However it does come with an AGP slot for upgrades and of course the sales staff tells the client you need to add a card if any gaming is to be considered smile

So how many have come back asking for this upgrade after wards, about half, due to this very thing...

The others I guess could live with it or are business clients that don't really need it.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
They're just looking for help man, & probably are not real "tech freak/geeks" like many of us is all... @ least, not yet (maybe they never will be period).

They probably post this across TONS of messageboard forums, not just ours, & come back to them until they find an answer & then just a plain-jane GONE with the wind... until they hit another problem!

I'm with you here APK, but I think most of these folks (like you said) aren't "tech freak/geeks" and they are looking for a solution, and due to their limited knowledge it could be possible that they cant find the site again to find the solution to their post. I dont know about this forum (I could be a bit blind or stupid, but I haven't seen it yet), but some forums has the option to send you a mail when your thread has been updated and in the mail is a link to that thread, I think it helps the new users a bit to find their way back imo.

About the email thing, I understand the problem with the "bounceback" problem, but, wont it be possible to create a rule or something to delete any incoming mail from people replying or service providers saying that the email addy does not exist anymore.

I think the email thing (if it gets used again) might sort out the problem with the people putting their email addy on saying "please email me with the answer"

I agree, this is the best forum I've been on, that is why I'm sticking to it, you may just as well call me friend, cause I'll be around for very long time to come. I love this forum, cause its got all kind of problems, not just one thing over and over (excl. the evil SIMS2), and I know quite a bit about problems cause I've worked at lots of big companies with lots of people that always has lots of problems, but that does not stop me from learning more, every day there is new problems, the saying with "a apple a day" only keeps the doc. away.

I try to help as much as possible, but the last 2 or 3 weeks I've been busy with my CV and sending it around all ove the place looking for jobs and I've been away from home for a while and had no internet, but in the next weeks it should be a bit better, I just need to wait for all my CV's to come back saying "Thanks for your CV but we are sorry to inform you that we do not have any vacancies for you, good luck for the future"

What I like about this forum is that everyone is friendly and everyone helps, its not like they just say its not their problem ask someone else (like most hotlines do), and you get to learn of more problems with their fixes.

Your friend smile

Wicked

I agree to everything you said smile

My brother-in-law came home early and brought my X-Mas pressie, the water-cooling, hee hee, I'll be offline for a little while to install the cooling system and then 1 hour for testing and running it open to get all the bubbles out.

c u all soon.

Wicked

PS: Daredevil, its also one of my fav's

I guess alot of things are just frustrating me lately, I know these guys just want some help, so its all cool.