Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jepquinta

pci.sys missed or corrupted

In Windows XP, I can not start because message says pci.sys missing or corrupted. However I can star my computer if I try several times How to fix it?

Win XP SP2

P3

Hello I had the same problem as jepquinta

I recently defragged the harddrive and on next boot the "pci.sys is missing or corrupt" error came up. Did the repair install and confronted with "ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt". Trying to fix that through repair intall has proven fruitless.

Tried a different install cd and just directly copying the file from a working version of windows to no help.

At this point extremely concerned about recovering doccuments from passworded user account, any help would be appreciated.

Is the XP cd you repaired with have SP1 or is it a cd that has no service packs?

You will get errors doing a repair on a SP2 install if the cd is SP1 or a no service packs cd. You would need to (after repair) install whatever service pack you had installed before the repair to fix the errors.

As far as getting your files off the PC you could use Barts PE.

Depending on what you put on the Bart cd you could burn your files to cd/dvd, copy to a floppy or something else.

Thanks zombie I hadn't thought of that. The CD is an SP1 CD. Is there a way to make an SP2 cd? I have a second functioning Win XP SP2 computer.

I'm looking through BartPE right now It seems like it will do the job i'll post as things develop.

Also, moving the defective hard drive to working computer produces the same errors.

Originally posted by manologrey:

Quote:
Is there a way to make an SP2 cd?

You can slipstream SP2 then burn a cd. Google on slipstream SP2 and you will find the info you want.

Just have to have your original XP cd and the full SP2 service pack.

Thought I'd also post this as I also have the same problem

http://www.theeldergeek.com/pci%20and%20ntfs%20dot%20sys%20errors.htm

Haven't tried it myself yet, but its an alternative anyway (anyone know if this is actually right/wrong?)

Also when the problem originally came up my local computer company told me it was the W32.gaobot, a fixtool for which can be found on symantec's site. The problem has since come back for me (and the fixtool doesn't detect the virus, hence I believe the company lied to me!) , but it may be correct for someone else

Hope this helps

Final Update

I had seen the memory fix at another site ran memtest for hours and found no problems. placed the memory in a working computer seemed ok.

Tried creating a windows recovery cd with slipstreamed sp2 and was unable to repair the damaged files. Or rather the files would be replaced and the same error would occur.

Eventually was able to change file permission settings and access my files through the 2nd pc. Backed up what I needed and decided to scrap the harddrive and start fresh.

Thank you all for your help, hopefully others with a similar probelm will come to a better resolution.