Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinuxCrusader

Modified FSTAB?

I using Knoppix 3.7 and I have trying to get rid of some NTFS mounts that knoppix automatically mounts. I have tried to delete the line that mounts the specific partition in the fstab, but when I restart my computer the partition comes back again, or mounted. How do I get rid of this.

- I also changed the icons for these hard disks partions that are mounted and shown on my desktop, but then again when I retart my computer the icons are back to default.

- I also would like for these devices to be mounted on a specific folder that I created on my desktop, so they are not all over my desktop. I move them there and again when I restart my computer these partitions are mounted again onto my desktop and are also, of course, in the folder that I created and wanted them to be.

Any help will be appreciated. This how my fstab looks like:

---------------------------------------------------------------

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.

#

# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass

/dev/hdb6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hdb5 none swap defaults 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX

/dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

I'm not completely familiar with the entire knoppix distro, but generally isn't it a live cd(aka, runs off cd, and memory, not installed). If you have installed it and you have infact DELETED the lines of what you dont' want mounted from /etc/fstab I dont' know what to tell you, except maybe there is an option to turn off auto detect in the knoppix boot up. Sorry can't be more of a help, but if it is the live cd version you are running, you cannot save changes I believe without making a floppy with the saved changes or writing it to disk(I think you can do that in knoppix, I believe I read of that somewhere).

Daum

Quote:
I'm not completely familiar with the entire knoppix distro, but generally isn't it a live cd(aka, runs off cd, and memory, not installed). If you have installed it and you have infact DELETED the lines of what you dont' want mounted from /etc/fstab I dont' know what to tell you, except maybe there is an option to turn off auto detect in the knoppix boot up. Sorry can't be more of a help, but if it is the live cd version you are running, you cannot save changes I believe without making a floppy with the saved changes or writing it to disk(I think you can do that in knoppix, I believe I read of that somewhere).
Daum

I'm not running it off of the live CD. Everything is runing cool installed in my HD. Thanks anyways...I'll keep looking.

I'd imagine you can just change the mount point and take out the noauto

from your first ntfs entry in fstab.

# Added by KNOPPIX modified by ME!

/dev/hda1 /mnt/monkeyland ntfs users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

Hi LinuxCrusader,

put a "nofstab" as kernel option into your bootloader config and the automagically handling of fstab will go.

(search the web for -> Knoppix -> cheatcodes)

HolgerH

Quote:
HolgerH

Member No.: 52660
Hi LinuxCrusader,

put a "nofstab" as kernel option into your bootloader config and the automagically handling of fstab will go.
(search the web for -> Knoppix -> cheatcodes)

HolgerH

Thank you HolgerH. That sounds more like it because I added the line that "egorgry" suggested but it wouldn't mount the partition where I wanted to be mounted. I could see that the line was still the in the fstab when I restarted my PC.
I'll try this and look more into the knoppix cheatcodes. Thank you and I'll let you guys know the results.

good one HoldgerH.

LC, did you first create teh mount point as a directory? sorry I should have mentioned that in my reply.

mkdir /mnt/monkeyland

Hi egorgry,

from the point on when you have "nofstab" as a boot parameter, Knoppix will not apply any automatisms on the fstab - it'll keep your fstab as it is then.

Any changes from before will stay so you can leave what Knoppix added or change it as well - you're on your own now.

In plain words, if you want to use any specific directory, you have to ensure it exists ...

(mkdir blablabla)

But this can be done whenever you want, after you booted Knoppix with "nofstab"

CU

HolgerH

I've used redhat 5.0, mandrake 7.0-8.2 before I switched over to Debian/Sid. I've never heard of not being able to modify the fstab. even hp-ux and solaris allows you to make those changes. Seems weird to me. Anyway it's good advice for knoopix users.

Hi egorgry,

you're right and you're not ;-)

The automagicallity behind the fstab is not because it's Debian, it's because Knoppix is originally intended to run from a CD.

Thus it cannot know about each and every partition of each and every computer where it may be started.

The guy who wrote the "knoppix-install" afterwards probably forgot to change this automatism or he intended to keep it as a feature. The solution is "nofstab" as boot parameter.

CU

Makes sense. I'm impressed with your knoppix knowledge. smile I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.

Quote:
HolgerH

Member No.: 52660
Hi egorgry,

from the point on when you have "nofstab" as a boot parameter, Knoppix will not apply any automatisms on the fstab - it'll keep your fstab as it is then.
Any changes from before will stay so you can leave what Knoppix added or change it as well - you're on your own now.
In plain words, if you want to use any specific directory, you have to ensure it exists ...
(mkdir blablabla)
But this can be done whenever you want, after you booted Knoppix with "nofstab"

CU

Sorry to bring this thread back again, but I gave a break on messing wth this.

HolderH, (or if anybody knows) I've been trying to add the "nofstab" into my bootloader but I keep getting an error that it is an unrecognized token. I'm trying to add it into Lilo. Is this right? Do I added just anywhere in Lilo.conf?

It's boot option so it need to go in your lilo or grub config.

LILO example

append="nofstab"

HolgerH correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Then make sure that you run /sbin/lilo as root user, in a terminal window and lilo will run. If you get no errors, then it should work.

I added the line:

append ="nofstab" to lilo.conf and at the same time I commented out the follwing line as shown below on the fstab:

#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

But it didn't work. Instead when I rebooted it was taking a little longer to bring up the login interface and as soon as I logged in it took into the icewm desktop and I got some error. However, I rebooted again and logged in into my kde session and the fstab still put the hda1 partition into my desktop. I checked the fastab and it took the comment out (#) of the line that I edited. Funny huh...