Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darkslash

Service Pack Two

With the installation of this service pack, everything worked fine on my computer. for a long time. Until, however i tried to play one of my multiplayer games, that connects via internet. I tried them all, halo, Counter-Strike, Diablo II Lord of Destruction, Project Entropia.

My messaging systems also seems to be malfunctioning from this. upon further inspection, teh only thing that COULD acess the internet was the browser itself. I know it had a f**** firewall. So i uninstalled it. The problem remains. I have no idea why. PLZ respond witha solution if u have one, ASAP.

Thx in advance,

-Darkslash

Bringer of Death and destruction to all.

Quote:
I know it had a f**** firewall. So i uninstalled it

Err... uninstalled what? The firewall or the service pack?

If you uninstalled the service pack, likely the firewall will still remain enabled.

BTW, the firewall only blocks inbound connections and if that is the issue, it normally prompts you to continue blocking or unblock inbound connections to that app. Perhaps you do not see this due to games being fullscreen? Why not research the ports that the game requires and simply add them to be allowed.

i uninstalled the pack. Nothin'.

No, the games i tried, plus the messaging services aren't full screen. And they're still blocked.

All aplications based on 16 bit dont work in SP 2... Probably MS changed *.dll and "cmd"... Gr8 thx to MS...

Aplication tested:

Warlords 2, Warlords 2 Delux, X-Com: EU

Posted by Expro:

Quote:
All aplications based on 16 bit dont work in SP 2

Care to back that up? How many PC's have you tested? I have an entire department at work that uses a 16bit app daily and it's running just fine on XP SP2.

Darkslash,

Have you verified that the firewall is disabled? Also, when you say messaging services, what exactly are you speaking about? IM clients, IRC clients, something else?

I had a similar problem. Did you disable the XP firewall that is supposedly "beefed up" in SP2? The firewall is reaking havoc with many online apps from what I have read online. Seems that apps that require multiple connection at the same time cause the firewall to lurch. It was designed to halt multiple incoming connections, somethimes associated with an attack from an outside system.

I was having hit and miss connection problems til I disabled it. Now everything connects A-OK....

I downloaded ZoneAlarm 5.5 and all is good in the world again.

I have read that even if you un-install SP2 it leaves the new firewall behind.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

right now it say "Not Monitored"

It was "Off" but still didn't change anything.

So, if i download Zonealarm 5.5 while this is still on (SP2) will it fix it?

Oh, and by messaging software i mean AIM, MSN messenger, mIRC also doesn't work

Ventrillo, Teamspeak, and Skype dont work either.

They are internet voice chat things.

Try this...

Go to control panel. double click on the network connections icon.

right click on the connection you use for the internet, go down to properties and click, then go to the top and click on advanced tab.

click the settings box under windows firewall. make sure its off.

then click the advanced tab. check to see if anything is checked. uncheck any network connections. make sure you get another software firewall because you'll be left volnurable to attackers.

I did this, and everything works fine on mine now. Zonealarm works great too. no problems.

Are you running a router? routers can cause some problems with games too. just throwing some things out there.

-Jeff

no, i just tried that (cas u told me to) and it didn't work.

Router is fine, all ports are unblocked for the games i play, AIM, MSN, etc.

the real problem is, even if i disable the firewall, it remains up. I just installed HL2, but i can't play it b/c i need to connec to steam.

Sorry, but I thought that would work.

I'll call a few I.T. buds of mine and get back to you.

-Jeff

I was going to suggest that. Thats what I always do when something has me stumped. I reformatted about 4 times before I got SP2 right. SP2 seems to be breaking alot of systems.

Good luck.