Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frisco

Strange Problem

Hey!

My brother just gave me a PC for my mother. He built it himself, but there is one problem. I can't turn the computer on without first unplugging everything from the back of the computer, reconnecting everything and then pressing the power switch. If I don't do this everytime I shut the computer off, the hard disk doesn't start up and I see a message on the screen, "No Sync Status."

This problem doesn't occur when I reboot, only when I shut down. I don't know too much about the PC. It is a desktop, 1Gz AMD processor, 386 MB RAM, 2 60 Gig hard disks, usb and firewire cards installed. It isn't an OS problem--I just did a clean install of XP.

I am baffled with this one, so any ideas are greatly appreciated. It's not a major probelm, just a pain in the ass having to unplug and replug everything before this thing boots up.

John Frisco

What is the power rating on the power supply?

A cold boot, full shutdown and then power up, will place a greater load on the power supply then a warm boot, or reboot.

My suggestion would be to get something greater than 350watts if you don't already have that. If you do, see if you can get another to test with as perhaps it is going bad?

Originally posted by zen69x:

Quote:

A cold boot, full shutdown and then power up, will place a greater load on the power supply then a warm boot, or reboot.

My suggestion would be to get something greater than 350watts if you don't already have that. If you do, see if you can get another to test with as perhaps it is going bad?

Thanks for your quick reply! That makes sense what you said. My brother did say he recently put in a new Power Supply, so I guess he got one with too low of wattage. I will look inside later today to see what the power supply is.

Thanks again for your help and have a Happy Holiday!

Originally posted by zen69x:

Quote:

Okay it is an Antec 350 Watt Power Supply. How many Watts should I get?