Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
swvines

Untitled thread

:)*TRUE OR FALSE* smile

If you have been on google news you might have seen the story "Google: Hacker's best friend". If you read the story on fool.com read this passage again.

"...Some reports claim that Linux, the open-source operating system peddled by dozens of outfits, including Red Hat (Nasdaq: RHAT), Sun Microsystems (Nasdaq: SUNW), and IBM (NYSE: IBM), is already the world's most oft-breached OS, comprising 65% of security compromises compared to Windows' 25%."

Can some one show me where you get reports like this. Less than 25% of the computers in America don't even run Linux. Almost all reports on trojans, worms and viruses happen on computers that run windows. Can some one prove me wrong on this. Also, the guy who write this uses Yahoo. Any OS can have problems but less on Linux OS because they have to have special virus and worms written for Linux. I will leave you a link so you can read the whole story.

Please reply,

Stephen

All I know is that I just cleand 85 virri and spy/addware problems off of a friends fully patched XP box and I've never had an issue using Debian. Linux is just a more secure design. These article and studies go back and forth some are independent some are MS funded. I'm off to read your article.

here is a good read too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Dear Mr. egorgy (ego orgy?)

http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

No offense but every time I see viri, virri, virii and assorted other versions, it is like fingernails dragged across a chalk board.

The Register article was fascinating and very informative. It gave me a new perspective and understanding of the Linux 'model' (and a better understanding of why I have had a couple of billion bsod's in windohs).

P.S. Sorry swvines, not exactly on topic but you raise a very good point that is worth investigating further. By the way, that link does not work (for me anyway).