Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimlad

Explorer Crashes when html file is clicked?!?!

Everytime i click a html/htm file i get an error (Explorer has created an error and will be shutdown by windows, please restart the application) and I have formated the drive twice and re-installed windows twice, ive tried all solutions for the same error but for exe files and none work, I'd be grateful if someone could help, Im running Windows 2000 SP4 on a NTFS drive.

There is a well-known bug in Explorer whenever an html file contains a sequence that invokes the shlwapi.dll . To be on the safeside run a virus scan, ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, and clear out your cache and cookies.

hmm doesnt seem to find anything(AVG Free) but I found that when I disable folder html (side panel) it doesnt crash

HELP!!!!! COMPUTERS HATE ME! THINK I'VE GOT A WORM OR ATLEAST SOME KIND OF FILE ASSOCIATION PROBLEM, CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIGURE THIS ONE OUT: ALL EXE FILES MUST BE MANNUALLY DESIGNATED FROM DESK TOP TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THEM. WHEN PROMPTED TO "SELECT PROGRAM" TO OPEN THEM IN, I DO ,THEN ALL FILES BECOME DESIGNATED TO OPEN IN WHATEVER PROGRAM I HAD JUST SELECTED. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK PROPERLY! DISK DOCTOR EVEN FAILED TO DO ITS THING- IT TOLD ME THAT IT COULD NOT ACCESS C/DRIVE DUE SOME OTHER PROGRAM TYING IT UP(THERE ARE NO OTHER ACTIVE PROGRAMS THAT I AM AWARE OF AT THAT TIME).... ANY IDEAS?????

you need to fix that caps lock key too, i think it is stuck...

sorry, too early still and have had no coffee yet

I have the very same problem but I think I can bring in some more information : The problem is caused by the preview on the side in Explorer thus the closing of the information panel clearing the error.

Here's the EXACT error I get : (The informations when I click "click here" in the error report window)

Error Signature

AppName : Explorer.exe

AppVer : 6.0.2900.2180

ModName : mshtml.dll

ModVer : 6.0.2900.2523

Offset : 0024D621

The usual bla bla about collecting information in your memory etc.

Hardware specs :

AMD Athlon64 3200+

ASUS K8N-E deluxe motherboard

Radeon 9800 pro

WindowsXP Pro SP2 (everything installed/full WindowsUpdated)

BTW, I don't want such answers as "Reinstall Windows XP". We're here to find causes and solutions to a problem, not a way of going around it by reseting your computer to a previous state...

I hope we get this fixed soon, I'm tired of this. It doesn't happen so often that I click html files, but when browsing folders with the keyboard I ofter have to go over one to get where I want...

Cheers

Chlikaflok

Here's an update :

I tried to change my desktop wallpaper today and whenever I even get close to the "Desktop" tab of the display properties(i.e. I click on the tab), the same error happens. I guess the problem resides in the previewing of stuff...

Oh and, I don't know if this is useful, but the Offset is always the same : 0024D621. Which means that something's not correct at that specific address... and I can't manage to see what's in the memory space at that address.

Cheers and I hope we'll get this fixed!

Ah, I'm surprised that there are more people who've got the 'Explorer crash on htm(l) file select' problem...

I realy don't know what causes the crash, but I've noticed that when you delete the file type (tools - folder options - file types), windowe explorer doesn't crash ... until it adds the file types again (apparently it does it automaticaly)

It doesn't matter with me how I have the left pane used (folders, search or task and places) but what does matter is if the htm(l) file is selected alone or along with other files:

When I have just one htm(l) file selected, the crash will happen.

When I have multiple htm(l) files or one html file plus other files selected the crash won't happen...

I get no error message, all windows explorers just close.

Trying to preview a wallpaper closes the display properties window indeed....

Quote:

It doesn't happen so often that I click html files, but when browsing folders with the keyboard I ofter have to go over one to get where I want...

And I'm webdesigner so I don't do much more than clicking IE files icon10.gif

Thx for all the input people, but here's a question for you saul11 : I just saw that in the open with list there is "open with openoffice "excel"" (don't remember exactly how it's written). And the problem started happening about when I installed openoffice... I'm probably wrong but I may just be onto something...

The question is : Do you have openoffice saul11?

Alec§taar wrote

Quote:
Is your IE fully patched/up-to-date? This matters...

I don't think this is the problem, because the crash problem hasn't been there from the beginning. Anymway, this is my info:

Internet Explorer info

version 6.0.2600.0000

build 62600

mshtml.dll info

2.729 KB

23/08/2001 13:00:00

C:\WINDOWS\system32

Microsoft Corporation

Alec§taar wrote

Quote:
BUT, unregistering & then re-registering your mshtml.dll MAY help also

Unregistering didn't work, I got the error below (but reregistering did ... without result)

RegSvr32:

DllUnregisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x8000ffff

Alec§taar wrote

Quote:
...if you take a look here using regedit.exe:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm

& here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html

I have checked the reg keys ... first I had only editplus in the opewith list (because I deleted the file types htm and html in windows explorer (tools - folder options - file types)) Than I deleted the keys completly without result.

So nothing worked !

I also tried to delete quite a few programs (office, .net framework, ... euh well, quite a few more) ... Without result.

I downloaded the mshtml.dll file from a website and replaced my file with it ... without result.

I checked if the crash still occured with an empty html file (right click - new text file - renamed it to html) ... crashed too on select of that empty html file.

I cleared out my cache and cookies many times. no result.

ran ad-aware many times.

But I still have to give the virus scan and spybot search and destroy a try...

Chlikaflok

Quote:
The question is : Do you have openoffice?

No I haven't

Anyone some more ideas?

PS Alec§taar you do know how to stimulate someone

Quote:
...you're the "perfect" kind of guy...

I'd be almost willing to bet YOU might figure out an answer ...

Ever thought of going into advertisement or politics wink

HA!!!!

After fiddling with the registry key some more I think I got something !!!

Windows explorer crashes when the file types are listed (tools - folder options - file types)

So I fiddled with HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html like Alec§taar proposed.

I noticed that as soon as both these key have a string property named 'Content Type' with the value 'text/html' windows explorer crashes.

Modify these properties to only 'html' and that solves the crash

A drawback of this is that IE seems to cannot find the file you double click, so an error is displayed when you double click an htm(l) file and have 'open in IE' as default action. But this might be THE time to switch to firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html )

I hope this realy is the solution and if someone might come up with a better value for the 'Content Type' string properties, please let us know!

Yeeha! It's back... thx people. The sad thing is that this doesn't give us the cause but only a tweak/fix. It's still better than crashing though.

Thx Again!