Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcroxton

Remote X session problem

I'm trying to connect to my linux box at home using the XLive cd from work. I can ssh in no problem, but I get various errors when attempting to run a gui app. I'm running Xandros 2.0 at home and I have set xhost appropriately. When I try exporting DISPLAY="ws036.mycompany.com:1.0", I get the following error when running a gui app:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for ws036.americanbackground.co

I've tried exporting display without my workstation name (i.e. "mycompany.com:1.0." That doesn't give me an error, but I don't see anything, either -- I'm afraid I may be running xclock on one of the sysadmins' screens, yikes. I also read somewhere that if you're using ssh -X, you can export the display before telneting. Perhaps I misunderstood, but in any case it doesn't work. I either get "cannot connect to X server" or "Can't open display:". I've tried exporting the display to host:0.0 and host:1.0, and I can't see a difference between them.

I have no idea what's going on -- whether the X client isn't able to pass requests to my specific workstation, I didn't set the right display, or whatever else it might be. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Derek

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
Have you tried:

Code:
ssh -Y

?

Hmm, I can't find that option anywhere. I did try it just now, to no apparent effect.

Sincerely,

Derek

login with ssh then type w that will tell you how your comming in :0 tty ect...

that's the display to use

see if you can nslookup your workstation that should give you an idea on how it's resolving

try exporting the display to an ip instead of the dns name.

you can try xhost + on your workstation that will open it up to all servers.

I'll keep thinking. good luck

Originally posted by egorgry:

Quote:
login with ssh then type w that will tell you how your comming in :0 tty ect...

that's the display to use

see if you can nslookup your workstation that should give you an idea on how it's resolving

try exporting the display to an ip instead of the dns name.

you can try xhost + on your workstation that will open it up to all servers.

I'll keep thinking. good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at home now, but I'll try them first thing tomorrow.

I ran xhost + on my linux computer. I don't need to do that on the Windows/cygwin machine, do I?

The problem with resolving the ip address is that the work computer is on a local network. I could probably find the IP address of the network, but would that get it to my specific computer?

Sincerely,

Derek

You don't have -Y in your ssh options?

Code:
dapper@dan:~> ssh --optionsUsage: ssh [options] host [command]Options:  -l user     Log in using this user name.  -n          Redirect input from /dev/null.  -F config   Config file (default: ~/.ssh/config).  -A          Enable authentication agent forwarding.  -a          Disable authentication agent forwarding (default).  -X          Enable X11 connection forwarding.  -Y          Enable trusted X11 connection forwarding.  -x          Disable X11 connection forwarding (default).  -i file     Identity for public key authentication (default: ~/.ssh/identity)  -t          Tty; allocate a tty even if command is given.  -T          Do not allocate a tty.  -v          Verbose; display verbose debugging messages.              Multiple -v increases verbosity.  -V          Display version number only.  -q          Quiet; don't display any warning messages.  -f          Fork into background after authentication.  -e char     Set escape character; ``none'' = disable (default: ~).  -c cipher   Select encryption algorithm  -m macs     Specify MAC algorithms for protocol version 2.  -p port     Connect to this port.  Server must be on the same port.  -L listen-port:host: port   Forward local port to remote address  -R listen-port:host: port   Forward remote port to local address              These cause ssh to listen for connections on a port, and              forward them to the other side by connecting to host: port.  -D port     Enable dynamic application-level port forwarding.  -C          Enable compression.  -N          Do not execute a shell or command.  -g          Allow remote hosts to connect to forwarded ports.  -1          Force protocol version 1.  -2          Force protocol version 2.  -4          Use IPv4 only.  -6          Use IPv6 only.  -o 'option' Process the option as if it was read from a configuration file.  -s          Invoke command (mandatory) as SSH2 subsystem.  -b addr     Local IP address.dapper@dan:~>

Quote:
You don't have -Y in your ssh options?

Code:
dapper@dan:~> ssh --optionsUsage: ssh [options] host [command]Options:[etc.]

Yes, I guess I do. It doesn't show up in the man page from my Xandros ssh, but it does show up on the XLive cd.

Is what I'm trying possible? I know my company's ip address, but I don't know how to get the Xclient to forward requests to my workstation. There's no proxy server involved, and since this works seamlessly with http, ftp, and ssh, I was assuming that I would have no problem getting it to forward X. But I always run into one of two problems: either I use the company's ip address or domain name, in which case I get no errors but also no windows; or I use my workstation's fqdn, in which case it tells me it can't resolve the address. Is there any other way of specifying the host (my workstation) separately from the ip address?

Sincerely,

Derek

When you say you are trying to get a "GUI", is it that you are trying to run a specific program that way such as evolution or mozilla? Or is it that you want a complete desktop environment?

I don't know if this will help any but let me tell you how I'm set up. I am in the unique position of having a restaurant that I own and operate on the first floor of a "downtown" building. The upstairs is my family's apartment. Upstairs I have my home/server box with SuSE 9.1. In the restaurant, I also have a box with SuSE 9.1.

When I'm downstairs I contact the home/server box by going:

ssh -Y home@192.168.1.101 [enter]

It asks for password and I enter it which establishes the connection. Then, to get a IceWM desktop environment I go

icewm-session [enter]

And I am then in control of my upstairs home/server box as though I were sitting at its terminal.

I can do this through ssh because both machines are on the same LAN. But your situation is different in that you can't get X to forwardto your workstation specifically, only the general IP address of your business's server. Do I have that right?

Hmmm. Have you tried using tightVnc?

Quote:
When you say you are trying to get a "GUI", is it that you are trying to run a specific program that way such as evolution or mozilla? Or is it that you want a complete desktop environment?

[snip]

I can do this through ssh because both machines are on the same LAN. But your situation is different in that you can't get X to forwardto your workstation specifically, only the general IP address of your business's server. Do I have that right?

Exactly. I don't want to use VNC because it is too slow. I do use it at home on occasion, but from work I just want to be able to do something like run Boa Constructor (python editor) during my lunch break. Perhaps there's no way...though in general, it seems like there is always someone who knows how to pull something off, it's just a matter of finding out the right trick.

Many thanks for your feedback. If you find something out, let me know.

Sincerely,

Derek