Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bstemp

No GUI

(On an old system)I could not boot from my Mandrake 10.0 official CD. I formatted C:\ but still could not boot from the CD. I therefore installed XP PRO and could then proceed with the installation (reformatting as I went).

All went well.

Now I have a prompt for user login. Yes I can login as myself or SU, but how do I get to the GUI?

I found a site somewhere that said to try 'startx' but that did not work.

At present I am re-installing.

I'm sure it's obvious, but this is my first look at any Linux system.

Bill

since you are not getting no gui. make sure that the X server is running. if the X server is running then you need to check and see what type of video card you have and you have to get the drivers for that video card from the manufactures website. give us the specs of your computer we will be able to help you out a little bit more. after you get the drivers for you video card you have to edit your XF86Config-4 files in /etc/X11 directory. i used to have this problem with my 32mb nvidia card and i would have to donwload the drivers and edit the config file and then restart the x server buy first shutting it down using init 3 and then starting it up by using init 5. that should help you out if not let us know and we can think of another alternitive.

After re-installing, I got straight through to the GUI and all appears to now be fine. I can only assume that there must have been a problem with the install process.

Thanks anyway.

Bill