Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RickReinckens

Remove Recycler Folder on SUBST drives?

For reasons I won't get into, in the past I have had hard disks on my home PC set up as logical drives C: thru I:. That eventually got down to C: thru F:. I recently had to do a full-install, new hard disk, WinXP Home install. I set it up as Drive C: under NTFS. I also reinstalled the roughly 20 applications I regularly use.

Much to my surprise, I found that WinXP includes the old DOS SUBST.EXE command and it works fine. Rather than dealing with various issues I created a C:\Drives\Disk_D, Disk_E, etc. and used SUBST to set those up as logical D:, E:, and F: In general, everything is working well.

The following is nitpicking, but so be it:

Even though there is only one partition on one drive, for each logical drive CREATED WITH SUBST.EXE, WinXP is creating a RECYCLER folder. It all works okay, but I would rather not have that.

I seem to remember something under Win98 where you could have all files deleted to ONE Recycle bin. In other words, even if you had PHYSICAL drives 0 and 1 set up as drives C: and D:, if you deleted ANY file it would be moved to the Recycle Bin on C: (or wherever). It may have been that there was one Recycle Bin for each physical drive. I don't remember the minutia, but the point is that you did not have to have one Recycle Bin for each LOGICAL drive.

Since my SUBST drives don't REALLY exist separately, is there a way have WinXP only set up one RECYCLER folder?

1) Don't tell me to stop using SUBST drives--that isn't an option.

2) Checking "Use the same configuration on all drives" doesn't help. It just means that the same percentage of drive space is used for each SUBST drive.

3) I have not tried setting it to "Do not use recycle bin" for the SUBST drives. I assume that would do exactly what it says--if I accessed a file as "S:\whatever" instead of "c:\stats\whatever" the deleted file would not be moved to recycle.

4) I don't have Norton System Works or something similar and I am not interested in paying for MORE utilities.

sounds to me like its impossible

for instance if you delete something from d: to have it in the recycler from c: it would have to be moved first then deleted

otherwise even though the information to restore a file would be on c, the file could still be lost as d: is independant from c:

even though this is a single drive in practice, windows makes it work in theory therefore have them all work independantly

as a last resort maybe try to "show system file" in folder option and selecting the RECYCLER folder then right click and properties to maybe have a few options i wouldn't know about since i don't use SUBST.