Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tomncomputer

SATA and can I boot? (I'm new)

I have built a few PC'S, but am new to SATA.

My question is this. If I install (2) new 120 gig SATA DRIVES configured for Level 0 (performance), CAN I BOOT FROM THE DISKS, or do I have to boot from another hard disk besides my SATA disks?

Also, if you determine from above that your RAID chip/card is bootable, you'll need to press F6 just after booting from your Windows 2000, XP, or Server CD when prompted. You'll then need to have the RAID drivers on a floppy disk which MUST be drive A: since Windows will probably NOT have your drivers built in. Make sure that when you put these drivers on the floppy that you keep the SAME directory structure as what is in the download package.

Example:

a:\txtsetup.oem (I can't remember for sure but this file has to be in the root of A: )

a:\raid\*.inf & *.sys --> Check out the txtsetup.oem to find out the directory structure. It's not to difficult.

If you want them built in to the CD and are up for a little challenge, check out the Sept or Oct 2004 issue of Maximum PC. It has a nice article on slipstreaming SP2 for XP (I think it tells you slipstreaming...and this works the same for 2000) and also adding RAID drivers to the CD.

If not, check out nLITE (google search for it). It's a utility that will slipstream service packs, drivers, hotfixes, and also remove unwanted junk from the CD.

I hope this helps you out!