Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Suse 8.0: Can't change root background!

When I first logged on as root I changed the red background with something that didn't hurt my eyes so much, but after I rebooted it was all back.

I can not change the background the color of the desktop font ...

even if I restart X it's all back to the default settings.

If i log on as a normal user (not as root) I don't have such problems.

How can I change the root desktop settings??

I use KDE

Why are you trying to run X as root? If you need to run an app in X you could always su to root then type in:

xauth merge ~<username>/.Xauthority

now you can run X-apps as root without that nasty error saying cannot connect to Xserver

I'm running as a normal user now, but when I mount and unmount I get errors that only root can do that. Is there a way to give higher priorities to a normal user.

I'm gonna play around some with the chmod command. Where can I find what the -rwxr-xr-x means. I know that r-read w-write x-execute. But is there a good howto on this.

-rwsr-xr-x the first set is the owners permissions, the second set is the group member permissions, and the last is everyone else.....

do a ls -l /dev/cdrom* if this is linked to something else for instance if it is your cdburner it might be sr0 or scd0. you should see something like the following....

brw-rw---- 1 root cdrecording 11, 0 Mar 14 2002 /dev/scd0

This device is owned by root and group is cdrecording, I believe in Suse the group is disk. So if you make yourself a member of disk you should be able to mount it.....