Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nyamees

External hard drive on a notebook with USB 1.0

Hi all,

I just bought a 160 GB IOMEGA external hard drive to use on my Gateway noteboon running on WIN-XP. Each time I try to copy files from my hard drive onto the external drive, I get an error message during copying saying that a file can not be located and then copying stops. What can i do? I have usb 1.0 port.

Check to see if the that external drive supports USB v1.0 as I do believe most if not all external drive units require at least v1.1 or later wink

Actually the usb port is V1.1 and not 1.0. In any case I thought the only problem with using a V1 usb port with usb 2.o peripherals is reducing the operating speed and nothing else. Could there be something else wrong?

Thanks

1. Run a chkdsk/scandisk on your computer and on the external drive.

2. Try a different USB cable.

3. Try a different USB port.

4. Try a different USB controller.

5. Check SMART on both PC HD and External HD.

6. I've also seen this issue with the USB controller on the external enclosure going bad...so if the enclosure has another interface like IEEE1394/Firewire then try that.

Try enabling Write Cache back feature for the drive in the drive properties in Device Manager to compensate for lack of speed.

To prevent data corruption you must use the Safely Remove Hardware feature before disconnecting the drive from the PC.