Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SonicBit8

Internet times out problem

I don`t think its your router. Do you have any firewall software installed? Norton firewall has some personal security settings that can prevent connection to some sites that require you to login.

Otherwise it may be due to the site itself, for example, if its very busy and kicks people off or refuses to respond. Which sites are you having trouble with? What message do you get when it 'times out'?

its the woodworkers magazine forum part of that website. and i cant pay any bills online anymore... except with my laptop.

its wierd since i started posting it seems to be getting worse ... slower connection and loss of speed in bursts.

im going to call the cable company to see if they can at lease help a little

how would i allow the websites through the software firewall. the only firewall i have is service pack 2

thanks for helping me

SonicBit8

I don't know if you've solved your problem yet but I had same issue with only certain sites and nothing helped. I finally found the solution here: http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp Download Dr. TCP

The first file listed (it is the latest)

Set the mtu on the nic (Network Card)to 1488 (middle section where it will show ppp adapter if you have a modem for dial up or select drop down to select your nic card)

Then reboot the computer

It fixed all my certain site access problems.

Hope this helps