Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
89marky89

Help with the 4th Installation CD

Alright so I am totally new to Linux. I asked some people for a linux distribution and they gave me fedora core 2 to install all by myself. I did it and decided to install the packages in cd4 at a later time. That time has come and I dont know how to do it. I put it in the cd drive and open the cd directory and it has a bunch of rpm files (what is rpm exactly?) Anyways I dont know which specific packages I want, but I would certainly like C/C++ compilers. Someone here at my college just gave me the vague advice of using the rpm command... man, I got no idea how to do that! PLEASE can i get some help, or maybe a link to a very useful page where I can indulge my sincere curiosity in this new system, because I dont even know where to start...!

thanx

marcus

PS - if I am posting in the wrong place i am sorry.

Hi Marcus,

Be patient and all will start to make sense. RPM is a binary package you install on your computer, sort of like a Windows .exe. Look in your menu and find the Fedora package manager. This is the way to install files from your disk.

When I was using Core 1 I thought apt-get RPM was the best way to install packages and keep my system up-to-date. Apt-get RPM will make life with Linux a lot easier.

See this "HOW TO" for apt for FC 2 here.

If you get stuck just let me know... smile

Thanx for the apt tip Dan.

What kind of source code is on the fourth cd? RPM files are source code files? Or is my fourth cd different?

thx marcus