Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

USB2 external HDD error (delayed write .....)

Hi people, I could really use your insight on this!

Here is the story: I bought a usb2 enclosure, to put a spare HDD I had lying around, so that i could use it for file transfers, instead of burning cds and dvds all the time. So I hook it up to my pc (which is usb2 capable), do some tests, plug it unplug it, nothing broken, everything's ok. I go to the office, hook it up to my pc (only usb1 capable), thinking that it's only gonna be slower. But no, whenever i wanted a file over 50Mb to be copied to the external hdd, it would start copying and then at some poing say that a delayed write could not be performed on this disk, please try to save elsewhere. Any file under 50Mb was ok. So I started downloading chipset drivers, up[censored] almost everything, even tried other pcs. The same happened, unless i hooked the drive to a usb2 capable pc.

So, any ideas, workarounds....I really cannot be zipping and spanning files with a 50Mb limit..... Anything is much appreciated!!!

I had that problem on an old laptop of one of my friends, whenever he tried to copy bigger files he would get that error and it would stop. I cant remember exactly what the problem was, it was something about the HDD loosing connection, I remember his ext. HDD box had a light on it, and whenever this light went orange for more than 3 seconds he would get that error. Sometimes it worked, but only if we copied one file at a time. I cant remember if he ever got that problem solved, he moved to Cape Town and I moved to Germany, but I will ask him and let you know what he did.

Please do ask your friend, this is really frustrating.... I have tried copying files one by one, but when i get a file as big as 200mb, it starts copying and then the timer goes, 1 minute left, 2 minutes left, 3 minutes left and then it says 'delayed write yadayada.....'.

Beer is on me if your friend has a solution for this problem!

OK, I sent him a mail, just waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, check on the work PC that you're having the problems on what speed your USB is set to in the BIOS.

What OS do you have at work?

Try using something like Leechget, you can copy files with it and if the link is broken you can resume the copy without starting all over again.

Try this fix:

1. Open Device Manager

2. Expand disk drives

3. Click on your usB drive icon

4. Click Policies

5. Click Optimise for Performance

6. Enable write caching

6. Click OK