Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

samba halts when viewing floders with localised chars

2 networked computers

1 Suse 8.0

2 windows 98

I mount the windows files like this

#smbmount \\\\tomay\\c /mnt/c

Everything works ok until I want to view a folder that contains files with localised characters (©ÐÈÆ®¹ðèæ¾) you probably won't be able to read them.

When I browse to such a folder the browser just stops responding. I can kill the X with ctrl+alt+bckspace but if I try to browse /mnt/c folder the same thing happens.

Is there a solution for this????

How can I unmount //tomay/c

It won't unmoun using -f

It stops on shutdown, when it tries to unmount (complaining about the connection being in use), so I have to turn the computer off manualy.

Is there something stronger than umount -f ????

Please help.

Quote:
2 networked computers

1 Suse 8.0
2 windows 98

I mount the windows files like this

#smbmount \\\\tomay\\c /mnt/c

Everything works ok until I want to view a folder that contains files with localised characters (©ÐÈÆ®¹ðèæ¾) you probably won't be able to read them.
When I browse to such a folder the browser just stops responding. I can kill the X with ctrl+alt+bckspace but if I try to browse /mnt/c folder the same thing happens.

Is there a solution for this????

How can I unmount //tomay/c
It won't unmoun using -f

It stops on shutdown, when it tries to unmount (complaining about the connection being in use), so I have to turn the computer off manualy.

Is there something stronger than umount -f ????

Please help.

Update to the latest version of Samba. Windoes 98 also has a hard time with long file/folder names. it truncates them and often even corrupts them when using the CIFS file system.

This was solved later on. You may also want to try LinNeighborhood to see whether you get the same errors by mounting the files with that utility.

I get the same error with LinNeighborhood.

How do I determine wich version of samba I have?

The latest is 2.2.7a

My version of samba is 2.2.3a

I can browse the windows98 computer with Konqueror entering smb://tomay/c and it gives me no errors, but the localization is not right, I get some strange characters.

[Edit] I fixed the codepage in samba.conf file, but when I mount I still get the error. I guess latest version of samba is next...