Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
belewfripp

Final Fantasy 7 In Win98SE w/Geforce MX 4000

I've been spending the last hour or so trying to get FF7 to run properly on my system (Win98SE, DirectX 9.0c, Geforce MX 4000 video card, Soundblaster PCI 128D sound card, 192 MB RAM). I'm at a point now where the game runs properly, with the videos and everything ok, except for one thing - when I enable anti-aliasing, the content of the screen is cut in size but still fills the whole screen, and adjusting the screen size doesn't help. For example, the opening video displays the Eidos Interactive logo. With anti-aliasing enabled, the whole screen is filled but all you see is the E I and D of Eidos - the video is being displayed too large for the screen but changing the screen size just gives a cut off image. Are there any known fixes for this issue or am I stuck with jagged polygons? Thanks.

Adrian

Apart from making sure you're running the latest drivers for your video card, I'm afraid there's probably not much hope.

FF7 came out before anti-aliasing was all the rage, and it's a pain to getting the game running on modern systems at the best of times.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much but curiously I've found that, on my system anyway, running without the Riva TNT patch and playing in software mode actually produces better results. Running with the patch (but not clicking on the Nvidia box) and selecting Direct3d acceleration produced graphics without textures - everything polygonal looked the same as it does when you're playing a game and your VRAM is too low and the items/objects are rendered as completely black. I switched to the original config and .exe for the game and set it to software and though the speed has taken a small hit 3D characters/objects are not appearing in 2D but rather fully rendered in 3D and with all of their textures. It seems strange but I'm not going to get upset about it - at least it works. Anti-aliasing still doesn't work, but it doesn't screw things up either - probably extra features of the card aren't being read since it is in software mode.

Adrian