Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raybo

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel in XP Pro - Help

Installed my Force Feedback Wheel on my XP Pro computer. It will not let me assign a wheel button to a keyboard stroke. ie: my keyboard talk button on Teamspeak is left ctrl. I want to assign wheel button a to left ctrl. but I get the error (" An exception occured while trying to run"Shell32.dll, Contol_RunDLL joy.cpl) Worked just fine in Windows 98 SE but I can't figure it out for XP Pro..........Please help.....,Raybo

Hi,

You can try one of 2 things and please let me know if it worked.

Un-install the software of the Wheel, restart the PC and install the software again, then try.

OR

If the first one doesn't work you can boot into safe mode by restarting, while it start up press the F8 key a couple of times till you get a screen with some boot options, select "safe mode", once booted into safe mode try to map the key, save and restartthe PC to boot into normal mode again, that should help.

Tried re-installing several times. No luck. Opened in safe mode and it let me configure the left ctrl. keyboard stroke to the wheels A button but refused to save that setting when I tried to apply the change in Safe Mode. This thing has me baffled....what do you think?

Is the software for Sidewinder for Windows 98 or for Windows XP?

Sidewinder software for 98 will NOT work on Windows XP!

It's sidewinder for windows 98 but I race Nascar Thunder 2004 online with a bunch of racers that all race with the same wheel and had no problem configuring it in XP Pro. Is their software available for the Sidewinder Wheel in XP. I just bought the wheel 6 months ago and now Microsoft has stopped producing the wheel. Maybe their is an upgraded download somewhere. Can't seem to get any help from Microsoft. I've e-mailed them several times with no helpful response......I'm getting desperate

If you bought the wheel only 6 months ago it should have Windows 2000 and XP drivers on the CD. If not, you should be able to get updated drivers for it, give me the full name of the wheel and I'll help you look for drivers.

OK, here is the latest software from Microsofts site, click here to download software version 3.02.

Please let me know if it worked

Cheers

AJ

My software is more recent than that - Version 4.0 but GOOD NEWS!!!!!...I went in to my computer in safe mode as an Administrator even though it is not on a network, reconfigured the talk button to a keystroke, saved it and YAHOOO, it works. Thanks very much for your help Wicked 101.

I'm happy that you got the problem solved, I'm just sorry that I forgot to mention about the Administrator bit, I'm so used to only use that account that I forget not everyone uses it.

Wow, version 4, thats odd, cause the version 3.02 is directly from the Microsoft site, sorry about that.

Well, enjoy your gaming.

CIAO

AJ

hey there, a know thats it is a bit of a trouble to get the microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel (gameport version) to work on XP and my wheel does not just work at all, it can't be find in game devices as the force feedback wheel, but instead it says, microsoft sidewinder 3d pro, not connected?!

when i tried to install the microsoft sidewinder game devices 3.0 drivers to the wheel it says: <setup\_SETUP.EXE>. Reason : it can't be found.

i wanna know if anyone here know about the problem and can help me to fix it and play with my microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel (gameport version) on wXP..

thx smile

oh and btw: my OS is xp HOME EDITION

I have the same whell game port and I want to use it on winx xp pro.

Can you do this? Sorry for my english..

I brought my Microsuck force feedback wheel just before XP came out, i fully expected the software to be upgraded to work on XP but i think Bill got greedy expecting everyone to now buy a usb FFWHEEL.

It couldn't be that hard for them to port the software over to XP but i think its a case of "BILL GATES'S CARE FACTOR ZERO".

The leetist i make billions why should i care about my customers crap.

If i could have 1 swing i would give him the bloodiest nose, i'm just so angry about this.

I have even emailed microsoft about this politely but they don't even answer me back.

Microsoft Macrosuck.

Hi!

Many friends use the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Whell on XP (any type of XP or XP service pack) and it runs with no problems. There are 2 (two) ways of solving the problem: 1. (nr. 1 has two ways as well) NR. 1. First part: you can instal win 98 or 2000 and upgrade it to win XP... but may expirience many win bugs. NR. 1 part two: for advanced users only: instal dual boot with win 98 and XP and select parallel win usage... so you install the driver on win 98 and use it on XP... no bugs, but it takes a lot of time to instal both windows and parallel them. Or take it from the sourece: the whell is pluged in the sound card so you have to use an old sound card (better if you use a creative sound card) or instal a verry old driver for the sound card(if you find one)... I'm using the whell as well on XP with no problems and the standard driver, but I have an Sound Blaster Creative Sound card that was releasd before the whell was releasd.

Try what I told you, it may work. And !!!SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!!!