Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Slaney

Untitled thread

Using xp pro. Very Very new to linux. Just installed mandrake 10.1 community ED on a machine. The following problems occurred

asus p4s533 board(on board sound)

ati 9200se card

256 ram

aopen fm-pm modem

1. could not set up my sound. followed direction to install sound driver but directory does not even exist under src

2. no drivers for moden.

Question does the community addition allow connection to internet.

Point me in some direction for good documentation to make sense of this system.

Driver base is very limited.

Hi joe Slaney and welcome smile

I Googled your modem and it doesn't look good...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...amp;btnG=Search

The good news is, there are some really good modems out there for Linux that can be had at a reasonable price. External modems are your best bet for compatibility and performance.

Danleff can better help you with sound, see what he has to say. The easiest solution though is to just go out and buy a Soundblaster. *Most* of them work with Linux and can be had at a reasonable price. It will likely perform better too.

As I posted just yesterday, ATI makes great cards but unfortunately they don't support Linux very well like Nvidia does. Is yours working OK?

What you have to understand is if you have trouble with hardware, it isn't Linux's fault, it's the fault of the hardware maker. They put all their effort into "drivers" for Windows, and we are often not even a consideration. In many cases, if you do get hardware to work in Linux, it's because someone in the Linux community built drivers for that hardware.

Go to a console and sign in as root user. Type in /usr/sbin/alsaconf

Follow the directions. See if your card comes up, which should be C-Media CMI8738.

Make sure that you then check to see if the volume is turned up, either in kmix (using kde) or alsamixer (again in the console) usr/sbin/alsamixer

Pop in a cd and see if the sound comes up.