Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rhawke

Sound Crackle when BrowseGate active

Hi!

Whenever I have my Internet Sharing Software BrowseGate ( http://www.netcplus.com/browsegate.html ) turned on, my soundcard crackles as soon as my network interface card sends or receives data. (I know it sounds crazy)

I already tried a different soundcard but that was even worse. Instead of crackling I got some a very distorted sound every time the NIC sent or received.

I've also already tried diffrent drivers for the soundcard. Once the new SB Live Unipack from the Creative Webage and once the Kx Drivers from www.kxproject.com. But both don't work.

My System:

AMD Athlon 700

VIA APOLLO KT133

SB Live Value

Windows 2000

Would be great if anybody had a solution for this crazy problem!

Thanx alot in advance!

Your problem is unfortunately quite common and occurs mainly on PCs with an AMD/VIA cpu/systemboard combo, with a Creative soundcard (mainly the "Live" models) and Windows 2000.

It was this "issue" that finally prompted me to upgrade to XP (where in most instances the problem is fixed).

You've already tried most of the things I did (new drivers, new card etc..) Eventually I found that switching my Live for a PCI128 improved the problem somewhat (but some people have similar problems with these cards also).

Try installing the Via 4in1 4.35's (from via arena), and the "VIA PCI Latency Patch":

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/abit/download/utilities/VIA_Latency_patch/

(I use the 0.19 version, the 0.14 was for CPUs that got a bit too hot after applying the patch)

Good Luck!

Hi!

Thanx for the quick reply. I'll test the VIA update as soon as I get home.

What i wanted to add is that the second soundcard i tried was the Onboard VIA Sound Device. (I had removed the SB Live before i activated the Onboard Device) But as said before, all I got was this strange distorted sound.

I've already thought of an IRQ problem. But then I had to find out that Windows 2000 doesn't let you change the IRQ anymore. I read on the Microsoft page, that the only way to do this would be to switch to Standard PC during the Win 2K Installation and turn off some special BIOS Options in Windows 2000. Is this a good idea, or would it be useless?

Thanx again

Robert

ok

just wanted to let you know, that I solved my problem the easiest. I just used another Internet Sharing Software.

Instead of Browsegate I chose 602 LAN Suite 2004. And it's even free for up to 5 users. Just what i needed!

And although this software does exactly what Browsegate did, there is NO CRACKLING.

Thanx anyway guys for your assistence!

Robert