Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxfun

dual boot with xp

just curious has anyone encounter any problems with having xp and linux on the same machine. for some reason, my fedora core 2 loads up but then just holds on a blank screen.

i tired it out twice and the same result. has any encountered the same problem. ???

There is also an issue with FC2 and having Windows XP with the NTFS filesystem. Can you boot into XP?

How did you install FC2, by using the partitioning utility in FC2 during the install and borrowing space from the XP partition, or by allowing the FC2 partitioning utility to make the FC2 partition(s) next to the NTFS partition?

I have two machines running dual boot - both Redhat 9.

I used Partition Magic to grab some of the drive for Linux and use Grub to control the boot.

There were no problems with either setup.

How did you partition your drive ??

What does the grub.conf file say ??

It sounds like you have a problem with the boot loader which usually ( please hold the flame throwers !! ) indicates a problem with the initrd image - have a look at the names in grub.conf and make sure the initrd file names match.

Yes, it is not a problem with RedHat 9, which uses kernel 2.4.

In FC2, which uses the 2.6 kernel, there is a bug with the partition utility and how Mandrake sees the geometry of the drive, relative to the adjacent ntfs partition.

I just made my laptop into a dual booter, with XP and Mandrake 10 and have no problems booting up once I got my graphics card configured correctly. In fact, I like it a lot and it was not very hard.

First I reformatted my hard drive because it was too fragmented and then loaded XP on and nothing else. Did not even bother to remove the parts of XP I didn't want to prevent file fragments. Then I put in Mandrake disk 1 and did a custom partition (I have a 20GB hard drive) and basically let Mandrake do the rest of the work (I split the hardrive down the middle 10 GB for Windows and 10 GB for Mandrake).

Previously I had tried a full Mandrake system but could not get any Windows games to play no matter what I tried. This way I am able to get to learn Linux while still being able to play my games.

Hello

Well I got a problem dual booting Windows XP Pro and RH9.

I'm using LILO.

Everything is all right with Linux but when I'm trying to boot with XP it says in a blue screen:

"The session manager inicialization system process terminanted unexpectedly"