Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
govan

Red hat Linux 9 install freezes at "CD Found"

I recently downloaded Red hat Linux 9, this is my first time using/installing any form on linux. I have burned the iso's to CD's and have my bios set to boot from CD, along with 5 gigs free of unpartitioned space. This works and it'll boot off of the first redhat 9 iso. It brings up a menu screen with a logo and options to install/upgrade graphical and text modes, and has a command prompt. I press enter wanting to install linux in graphical mode, it then probes/scans and procedes to the screen which says "CD Found - to begin testing the CD media..." basically my keybored wont respond at all making it impossible to select anything.

not sure if this is enough info, but if any help could be provided it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thats kinda odd. I've never had that problem with linux, but an XP install did the same kind of thing. I had a usb keyboard and for some reason it was losing it. Try a ps2 mouse and keyboard if you have one. Other than that I hope someone else has an idea...

Good luck and don't give up - its worth it.

Can't really help with the immediate problem but I wouild suggest that you download Fedora 3 - redhat 9 is no longer supported and has basically been replaced by FC3.

Unless you have an odd configuration of devices ( KB , mouse etc ) or SATA drrives you shouldn't have a problem if XP installs cleanly.

Good luck !!

OldSpiceAP's and paultazzyman's comments are right on the mark. Post some specs. for your system, if possible.

If you have a windows based system, such as a Dell Web PC, which runs the mouse and keyboard off of usb, RedHat may have problems with this.

Also, boot/install issues can be caused by bad iso images (corrupted or incomplete download) or improperly burned cd's.

What cd media are you using, cdrw or cd-r? Also, you need quality media. The speed that the images are burned at can be a factor, also. Yoy need to burn the images at a slow speed, say 4X 0r 8X.

The hang that you get can be bios related, hardware (like funky usb mice and keyboards), or a media burn issue.

Just for reference, where did you get the iso images from and which iso images (names) did you download?