Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zmax

XP Pro logical drive created on setup by vendor?

Hi. I bought a notebook, Acer 3201xci with Win XP Pro preinstalled and activated, and it seems it is configured to create a "D" logical drive which cuts the storage space of drive "C" in half since it takes up half the space. This is not a real partition. Somehow Acer configured it to do this on startup and I dont want it! I want the whole "C" without this logical D drive. How do I get rid of it?

I tried to get rid of it in computer configuration admin options but it warned not to do it. Once I realized it was a setup thing I think I just need to know where it sets it up and then disable it.

Thanks!

Get a copy of Partition Magic so you can delete D: and resize C: to whatever size you want.

Let me ask you this.

If you partition a drive to have two partitions,

then you take the drive out of the computer and put

it on another computer it should still have two partitions

right?

Well thats not the case here.

I bought a second faster drive and swapped it out with

the drive that came with it and then put the old drive

in an external drive shell and hooked it up via usb.

The original drive now in the holder is only

one partition and the new drive which was only one

partition is now two when in the notebook.

Doesnt this strike you as odd?

Thanks.

Peter, do you know if Ghost 9.0 will perform this same function for me, that is: delete the OEM D:\ partition?

I bought Ghost last week and am using it for daily incremental (wish they offered differential) backups to my external HD but I only see references to their utilities in case a recovery is needed IRT partitions (not including deleting one though).

Obviously, you would probably only know about this if you had Ghost yourself so I hope to hear from someone that could educate me.

Also, I want to delete the OEM D:\ partition because I believe it is ONLY used for recovery functions, is this correct? Since I have a complete external image now, I reckon I can free up some space on my HD, i.e. D:\ has only 700+KB of files but is taking up over 6GB of HD space.

TIA.

Was just surfing some more, maybe I can use XP's Disk Management to delete D:\ and reinstall my image on top of the new (bigger) C:\. If that is the only option (not having a partition manager), I guess I'll WAIT UNTIL I HAVE TO DO IT since I am nowhere near starved for space right now anyway.