Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OldSpiceAP

Untitled thread

Sorry about no title - I forgot that and when I came back here to edit it it doesnt let me add a title. :-(

Yesterday I finally got tired of my Yoper linux distro, and dumped it in favor of SuSE 8.2 Pro - which was my first boxed distro. I upgraded to KDE 3.3, and got it all set up like I like it. Next was my games. I have successfully been playing Dialo II under wine for quite some time on yoper. I installed it via wine no problem, put my character back in the folder and loaded it up. No problems. But when I went to multi-player it had the wrong IP address. It said mine was 127.0.0.2 when it really is 192.168.0.100 on my router. Internet works and all but wine gets the wrong IP address. I thought it might be a wine bug from the version I was using 20040814 so I tried 3 other versions with the same problem. Then I signed onto transgaming and redownloaded cedega - their new version of winex. Oddly enough it had the same problem. Thus I figured it was a problem with my network configuration. I looked in /etc/hosts and found a line that read something like:

127.0.0.2 linux.localhost.somethingeranother

which was the IP address Diablo II was detecting. I deleted the line.

After that I loaded up Diablo II again. This time when I went to "Other Multiplayer" and selected TCP/IP it seemed to lock up for a bit. Eventually it went into the screen where I can press either join game or host game but my mouse seemed frozen. Then I noticed it jump - it was just going so increadibly slowly that moving the mouse took many seconds - up to 30 before it would show up. With a little patience I was eventually able to click on Join Game and then the mouse unlocked and went smoothly. It picked up my IP address completely. I punched in the IP address of the hosted game on our local network. It worked perfectly, and the game ran smoothly afterwards. Before when it was detecting the wrong IP address it worked smoothly at the join/host game screen. But with that line deleted and the IP correctly detected it is almost unbearibly slow - but only at that screen - why? It was fine on Yoper. Its not limited to Diablo II either - it did the same thing in several other games. Any suggestions?

[Edited by OldSpiceAP on 2004-11-29 12:03:55]