Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
norm_au

scandisk and defrag no go . . .

hi all,i have recently formated my computer,yesty i tried to scandisk my puter,i left it going all night it didnt even get a third of the way through,and early hours of this morning it rebooted its self,i tried a defrag also,it dances between 1 and 3 percent and goes no further,any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

be well and peace and happiness to you all . . .

Hi,

1. What operating system did you install?

2. How old is your hard drive? It could be that your hard drive is not too healthy no more.

3. Do you have any large files on your PC? Like Movies or game images, the standard windows Defrag has problems with defraging a hard drive with big files. If this is the case, get some software like "Diskeeper", it works pretty well, even with big files, including the "page file"

Hi there Wicked,yep sorry i should have included that,(Brain Fart)........ the opperating system is windows 98-SE,im not sure how old the HDD is but i do know it has no bad sectors in it,its a 20 gig,and no big files,or games,just the usual windows stuff,and a couple of files in my docs but not very big at all,i dont understand it really,a couple of weeks ago i did a defrag and a scandisk on it befor the format and it worked fine,now its up to mud,im not real smart when it come to the programs and stuff,but i can knock a puter up for some one in no time,so any help would be appreciated,and in laymans terms as well please,thx.

peace to you matey. . .

Hi there,

Are you running any antivirus software? Win98 and McAfee 5.1 has some complications when it comes to scandisk.

Does this PC connect to the internet? you might have a virus, its known that soe viruses can stop scandisk from working, I think its called "Fun Love" or something like that, do a search for the following file "Flcss.exe". (but, its not the only virus that stops scandisk).

And Defrag, this could also be because of a virus, or because of not enough free disk space or it could just take long because you deleted a lot of files and folder and/or temp and temp internet files and now defrag is trying to free up that space.

Check for any virus, check avail. disk space and if there was a virus and you got rid of it try scandisk again and with defrag, just let it run through the night.

If there was no virus to be found try to run scandisk in "Safe Mode", when the computer starts up press F8 a couple of times till you get a boot menu, select "Safe Mode" and once in windows try scandisk.

Let me know if you managed

CIAO

Hello Wicked,well as a matter of fact i have only recently purchased McAfee personal firewall plus version 6.0,do you think this may have some thing to do with it ? and i did a scan for that Flcss.exe and nothing came up on either of my drives,im also running McAfee anti virus,thats only the free job off the net though,and i have about 17 gig free on my drive at the moment.thanks for your help and your patience.

peace and happiness to you wicked.

It could be because of McAfee.

Try this:

1. Click START, and then click RUN.

2. In the Open box, type msconfig.exe, and then click OK.

3. Click the STARTUP tab.

4. Click to clear the check boxes that refer to McAfee VirusScan, and then click OK.

5. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Then try running scandisk again.

I would like to thank you very much Wicked for your help,i did as you told me and it worked a treat,so it is definatly McAfee,what a pain in the preverbial you know what lol,it cost me 50 bucks and it messes my rig up,uhhhhhh,i have found also that since unticking the boxs you suggested that when i boot up now i no longer have my firewall icon or my virus icon in the tray,does this mean im not protected now? and do i have to retick the said boxes to be protected again? thanks heaps again matey,and thanks for your patience on this matter.

peace and joy to you,may the Good Lord smile upon you greatly.

Yes, just recheck the boxes and you'll be set.

Next time you defrag just reboot into safe mode (Hit F8 before the Windows logo appears on bootup), then choose Safe Mode.

No problem at all wicked,if id had a half a brain at least,i would have known to just retick them my self,once again your help was appreciated a deal,thank you very much.

be well all,peace and joy to you.