Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wiz

CRAZY CD-ROM Drive!please help!!

help!MY CD-ROM DRIVE HAS GONE 'MAD'!!I have a 52x one. each time i switch on the system and the OS loads it just opens up!!actually it will open up suddenly anytime! another prob. is that

it wont auto-run any cd and yes, i 've ensured that the auto-run feature is activated in the settings.please help!! :P

OK, lets first determine whether its a software or hardware problem, turn off your PC, unplug the IDE cable (Asuming its an int. CD-ROM) but leave the power connected, now, turn on your PC and see if it still opens. If it still opens there is something wrong with your CD-ROM

Same thing happen to me, except it was on an HP desktop CD rom drive and *I think it was from pushing a button. It will continously eject, when I pressed the hidden special button it would close and run but when you restart the computer it would do it all over agian. It's so strange, it will always do this and have not been able to think of a way to fix it. I'm with you buddy! Yes its not ide based, just if you have power in the drive and the PC turns on it will eject. Not a software problem on the computer it's self I can guarantee, must be firmware....

If you open the side cover you will see the back of the CD-ROM, there will be the power cable in the CD-ROM and a long flat cable, that is the IDE cable, you can just pull that cable out, but look at the way it was in, you need to put it back the same way. If its a grey cable it should have a red stripe on the one side which indicates point 1 and if its a black cable it should have a white stripe.

no 101 it did not open when in unplugged the IDE cable, and yes what about the autorun? please help me dude

OK Wiz, if it only opens when the IDE is connected it means that the PC is giving it some sort of signal to open the CD-ROM.

The autorun problem you can go into the registry and looking for the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Services/Cdrom/Autorun

Make sure the value for Autorun is set to 1, you can double click on Autorun, then it will open a box and then you can enter 1 and press ENTER. Close registry editor and restart.

Another reason for this could be performance enhancing software, I've experienced some that disable certain windows functions to speed up your PC. What is the last thing you did/or installed on your PC before this started happening?

The prob with the CD-ROM opening the whole time, now, I've seen this problem with these remote controlled CD-ROM's you get a little IR remote conrtol to open/close, play and so on and in some (very little) cases with virus/spyware.

101 iam sorry i dont wanna bug you but plz explain in deatil how to getinto the regestry and all that.well...u might be wondering 'this guy has loads of problems with his comp.!'well...

yeah iam a teenager who is interested to learn many things and yes i love to solve problems(with some instructions)without calling the technician.and so plz help! wink

Sure, I dont mind helping at all, I was a knowledge hunger teenager once too, believe it or not :-) well, I'm not a teenager anymore but I'm still hungry for knowledge.

OK, click START > RUN > type in REGEDIT and click ok.

Then a new window will open, but, dont play around in there, it is very sensitive and if you do something wrong your PC wont work at all anymore.

En the left you'll see the 5 important keys, now you'll have to browse them like you would browse in explorer for a file

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

ControlSet001

Control

Services

Cdrom

then you will see on the right there is a couple of files, one of them is AUTORUN, which is the one you'll need, double click on it and it will open a little box, the the VALUE field type in 1 and then click ok.

Let me know if you managed

i just follwed what u said but..after services there is no cdrom instead there is 'EVENTLOG' and yes by the way i have 2 cd-rom drives both have the same auto-run problem. plz continue helping...

Oh yes, I'm sorry, I forgot that you are using Windows 98.

Go to the following registry key :

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

and then on the right you will find the entry : NoDriveTypeAutoRun

OK, double click that entry and in the value field you need to type in : 95 00 00 00

Click ok, close the registry and restart your PC

I hope this helps

smilesmilelaughWOW!!THANKS A LOT!! laugh U are anything but 'Wicked'! it worked and now my cd-rom drive has also stopped opening up!!i dont know how but it stopped acting crazy. anyway once again thanks!

It brings tears to my eyes to see people happy. Not a problem Wiz, it was a pleasure and enjoy your "new" CD-ROM drive.

CIAO