Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RyanC111

Problem with Mandrake 10.1 install and SATA drive

I'm trying to install Madrake 10.1 CE on my Dell XPS Gen 3 system in a dual boot configuration (currently have XP Pro running).

When the install probes for hardware it recognizes the SATA controller - 'Found "Intel Corp.|82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller"'.

I select 'next' and get the following error message:

An error occurred

An error occurred - no valid devices wer found on which to create new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem.

It appears that despite recognizing the driver it is not recognizing the drive.

Hardware:

Intel 925X Express Chipset

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz HT

Intel 82801FR (ICH6R) - as per the Intel Chipset identification utility

Seagate 160GB HD

1 GB RAM

- I have tried the <F1> linux noapic nolapic path with no success

- I checked my BIOS to try and disable any apic settings but there were none.

- I also tried the different SATA Operation settings (RAID Autodetect/AHCI, RAID Autodetect/ATA, RAID On, Combination) - the default is the first one and trying the others end up disabling the CD-ROM drive.

Any suggestions?

I also had problems with Linux on my S-ATA, I could not get it to see my HDD, I tried all kinds of Linux S-ATA drivers, let me tell you, it took me a good while to find some, but at the end of the day I could not get it to work. After a week I updated my BIOS and found some changes in the BIOS regarding my S-ATA, so I decided to give Linux another go, and there it installed with absolutely no problem at all, I was amazed, I did not even need any additional drivers. But, I still have the WLAN problem though.

Depending on when you bought your dell, I know when I bought mine their factory settings in the bios are wrong. IT will cause the hd's not to be able to be used in installation. You have to set in the bios under device settings to auto or something. Sorry I can't remember the exact setting, but I had hte same problem.

Daum

Hello all,

I try to install mandrake 10.1 in my SATA drive (maxtor).

I carefully have read all the thread messages, and tried to install it with:

"linux noapic nolapic". No success.

Could you please give some hints?

Thank you in advance!

Nikos.