Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dtav

IPX connectivity in Windows 2000 server

HI,

Im trying to set up IPX protocol on a home network of 3 PCs. One has W2Kserver the other 2 have W2Kpro.

I have installed the protocol via My network places/properties on all 3 machines, and I have defined the frame type of 802.3. I have further defined the internal and the external network numbers. All to 00000000 for the time being. I found that the 2 workstations can communicate correctly (Using dxdiag to test the connection) but the server will not. I then found after reading the MS documentation that the W2K server will not accept an all zero internal network number, so I changed it to 00000001 and the workstations, as I read that the network numbers must all be the same (although its not clear if that should be the internal network number or the external or both)

The server still does not connect with the others.

Any ideas? I must have missed some parameter, and after reading up Im still not clear where the fault lies for W2K server to communicate with W2K pro using this protocol.

Is this a WINS issue? or NetBIOS?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

DT

BTW..all machines communicate fine via TCP/IP and normal file and print sharing is achieved. One bog standard ethernet NIC on each machine. They are linked via a 3com router, which also gives adsl internet access. The server has DHCP and DNS forwarding activated (standard Active Directory installation)

Thanks Peter,

Ive studied these carefully, and my understanding is that it means that I must specify a unique internal number for each machine and then a common external number. Ive done this, but still doesnt work.

Do you know if Active Directory is involved? I have AD installed on the server machine, and in the network configuration options, Active directory has options for IPX settings. Should it be enabled as a router?

I'VE FIXED IT!

In case you're interested, the answer was to DISable Routing and remote Access Service in Active Directory

Works like a charm!

thanks for your help anyway