Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rinias

[WinXP Home] No printing from limited accounts

I can't get my head around this multiuser Windows...

This is the problem:

I have three accounts on my system:

1 Administrator

2 Limited Accounts

I have a HP Deskjet 5100 Series printer installed.

The problem is that _only_ the adminstrator account can be used to print. If I use one of my limited accounts, the document is sent to the printer (the data light starts to blink), then the data stops and the document is deleted from the queue. Printing from Administrator works like a charm.

The problem is that I like to keep the Administrator account a _true_ admin account, i.e. I am not going to use it to do anything but administration tasks, and I am not willing to give administrator priviledges to the limited accounts. This keeps unwanted programs from installing (be it by the users or by a malicious program downloaded unknowingly = virus).

Is there ANY WAY to make this work? I tried to share the printer, but I was not able to designate the correct permissions, and someone was able to use the "Guest" accoutn (which XP tells me is "OFF") to spool up an infinite document which started to print at 1 AM...

I really need help on this. I don't seem to have access to the "Permissions" section in security, thus I cannot assign individual permissions to files and folders (is that cause it's XP Home?) I don't see a solution... Please help!!

Thanks for the replies!!

I haven't had a minute to check on this yet, but I will shortly. As for the "not-running-as-administrator" thing, I'll take a look at your site- though it looked really good when I skimmed through it, I must say! The real reason I don't want to run as Admin to do it, however, is not for me as much as to protect my computer for my girlfriend and guests who, unfortunately, still believe that there is a little wizzard inside the box that makes everything work. It's to protect my computer when I am not using it yet to still let others have the functionality they need (like the ability to print out their documents...)

As I said, thanks a lot for the tips- I'm eager to try them out!!!

Rinias