Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BLATZ

Cant boot with GRUB! Help!

I installed Mandrake with no problems except for the graphics configuration. I didnt manage to get my monitor from the list and when i ran the test it didnt work so i decided to disable the graphical graphical interface and finished the installation.

After the first reboot GRUB appeared in text mode (as expected) but i cannot load linux from here. I pressed TAB to see the possible commands but none seem to apply or work.

What can i do? what is the command?

Thanks

There are possible two basic issues here. What would be helpful to know, is what the system specs. are for your system.

Mandrake will fail like this for two basic reasons, not enough memory in the system to run Mandrake in graphical mode and incompatible video card or monitor settings.

Can you post some system specs, such as what system this is being installed on, laptop or desktop, how much memory is in the system and any infomation that you have about the video card. This will assist us in knowing what may have gone wrong with the graphical installation.

Is this a self built or comercial system?

When you say the choices don't apply, do you get a command prompt after choosing Linux? Remember, if the graphics did not work on install, then probably you won't get a GUI when booting into Mandrake, just a command prompt.

Is this a dual boot install Next to Windows XP? What version of Mandrake are you using? This does make a difference if Mandrake 10 is installed next to Wndows XP.

I've got a pentium 3 800MHz with 128Mb RAM (desktop). I installed Mandrake 10.1 from some CDs that came with a magazine, its the only OS in the machine.

Just before the end of the installation i configuerd the display settings and when i ran the test, a rainbow-looking background appeared with a window in the middle that said: "is this the correct setting?" . Thing is i dont know! should it have those crazy colours?

i continued with the installation and rebooted the system. The first thing that comes up is the GRUB command line. I assumed it was from here that that i would choose the OS to boot.

I know i have to load the kernel and then boot but i have no idea where the kernel is.

Is there no easier way to boot!

Ahh...now that I read your posts more carefully, I get it. Your second post got my neurons firing!

So, you did disable the graphical interface near the end of the install? Then this makes sense.

None of the options get you to a command prompt? In other words, choosing linux (the first option) does allow the system to boot (a bunch of commands flying by) that result in a command prompt? Since you disabled graphical, this is what you get.

If you do get this far, then try running startx at the command line (then hit the enter key) and see if your gui comes up.

And yes, you are supposed to getthe rainbow colors. If they look fine and are centered on the screen, you would have been good to go.

I know very little about Grub from the command line, as I have never used it this way.

However, it is still possible to rescue the system. It may be easier to do another install and choose to do a new install, allowing the monitor settings to take place (if they are correct), then you will get your gui and graphical Grub screen on boot.

If Grub does not work on the current install (and you want to try a recovery), you can also try to rescue the system with the 1st install cd. When you get the initial screen and command prompt at the bottom, you can then type in linux root=hda1 since you stated that there is no other os on the system. See if this allows you to boot to a command prompt, where you should be able to fix the graphical interface and restore Grub to a graphical screen on boot.

If this were a Fedora system, I could tell you right off how to fix it from the command line, but my memory is failing on Mandrake. Maybe someone else has the answer on the tip of their tongue. Ifnot, I will try tolook it up for you.

The text based grub should go as follows (if your grub.conf is setup correctly - the partitions and what-not):

Type:

kernel /kernel-that-youwanttoboot (tab completion is present)

For me it is:

kernel /kernel-2.6.9-r4 <enter>

then type:

boot <enter>

I dont know where my kernal is.

i tried: kernel (hd0,0)/kernel.elf

and many different combinations but it sais: error parsing number

im confused but thanks anyway for the help

i'll continue looking it up.

Try this site.

Although it is for Suse, the basics are there.

Look under the section, Possibilities of the Grub Boot Menu.

There you will find some commands to help you find the kernel to boot, including using the find command to show you where kernel is to allow you to boot the kernel.

It should be located under something like (hd0,0) /boot/vmlinuz-(what-the-kernel-version-is).

You may also need to pass the initrd, as well, which should also be located in the same directory.

Did you try to boot from the first install cd, as I mentioned?

Then you can see where the /boot/vmlinuz and initrd files are and and get an idea of what to put in the grub command line.

Thanks! that Suse portal helped alot!

I used the 1st install CD to start the system in rescue mode. From there, i opened the grub menu.lst file and looked at the path for the kernel.

I rebooted and on the grub command line i entered the right line but it gave back 'error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS '.

After a little research i realised i need to make the boot partition with the first 1023 cylinders of the disk because i've got and old BIOS.

When i get home i'll repartition and it should work!

Though i better not get my hopes too high cos ive been at this for a week and nothing's worked yet.

Thanks again