Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Deronik

Half Life 2/ Counter Strike Source Installation Problem...

When I try to install half life 2/counter strike source it starts up the installation. It installs up to disc 4 and then it comes to a file called. "Counter Strike Source Shared.gcf" and then it stalls. A message pops up saying, "Could not read file from steam folder, please verify that the file exsists and that you can access it." I dont know what the hell it means. I cancel it, and of course the game wont install. Im pissed because I think I got a faulty HL2 disk, but im not sure. Anybody else having this problem?

I am running:

DFI Lan Party Socket 755 925X-T2 Motherboard

Pentium 4 3.4GHZ HT

PCI Express 16X Graphic port, "Geforce 6600 GT 128mb DDR3"

1GB DDR2 Ram

Maxtor 40GB harddrive

Windows XP Professional (Is it possible I have to upgrade to the XP SP2?)

pleeease help me! frown

Alright, get this. I call up Valve, tell them my problem. They say, "It's a faulty disc, you need to get a new one." So I go and get it exchanged, no questions asked. I come and install it again, SAME PROBLEM. Another screwed up disc, I'm very frustrated.

According to the HL-2 tech support page there is an issue with the EU DVD version of the game where if you do not choose to install HL2 *and* CS:Source then you will get an error message during the install process. (kept getting a similar message to you)

When you have done a *complete* install (and registered and decrypted) the game files via Steam, you can remove the CS:Source files (if you don't want them) via the 'my games' menu.

Dear Deronik

Did you manage to finally fix the installation problem. Was it the floppy or what. I am ahving the same problem, help.

Harry