Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Malaris

RAM upgrade

My PC only has 256Mb of RAM (yes, i know...... :x )

I am looking to get my RAM up to 512Mb-1Gb, but I want to keep my 256 aswell (is that possible)

I don't know much about this type of thing when it comes to PC's, so can you guys offer any advice as to what I should look for?

It depends. WHen you open up your case, all of your RAM slots will be together and be the only slots of that size. Most desktops have 2-3 slots. If you have two slots and a single 256MB DIMM (this is probably the case_, then you can just add another. On the other hand, if you have two slots and each slot has a 128MB DIMM, you'll have to remove one to upgrade.

Aha! ok thanks, I haven't checked yet (I'm still on my PC wouldn't you know! 8) ) but from what you say I guess it won' be hard to find out

It isn't just the amount of RAM, it is also the kind of RAM and how it is rated. All this is dictated by your motherboard. You only have so many slots, and denpending on the age of the motherboard each slot will only accept certain sizes of RAM to a maximum for that motherboard. Finally, the refresh rate and "speed" of the RAM varies. It is a general rule of thumb that you buy your sticks of RAM in the same increments per slot. Your RAM will only run at the "speed" of the slowest stick. So, while you may keep your present RAM, don't spend money on better performing RAM. The old RAM will not allow you to enjoy any higher performance speed wise though RAM hungry Windows will love the extra breathing room.

Umm, ok then.

I've got 2 DIMM slots and only one is used.

How do I find out the specs of my current RAM then?

The easiest way is to go to Crucial and use their tool to find the right kind of memory by system/model or motherboard.

Rgds

AndyF