Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Need Help With Java Install

I just received my 6 disk set of Mandrake Linux PowerPack 10.1 and did a clean install. Everything installed perfectly and all hardware was recognized. I couldn't be happier! And, I've finally picked up enough on Linux that configuring programs worked pretty well. I also installed Firefox 1.0, which is my favorite browser. In installed Firefox in home/zenarcher.

Now, my problem is that when accessing many websites, I'm needing a Plugin for Firefox....for Java. I'm not sure how to go about downloading and installing Java. Also, not sure if this needs to be some sort of plugin associated with Firefox, or what.

Could someone please explain and give me a walk-through for downloading and installing Java, so it will be available for Firefox and anywhere else I may require it?

Thanks much,

zenarcher

I must be getting better with this Linux! smile I just took a chance with installing from the Java instructions and it seems to work fine with Firefox! There may be hope for me with Linux yet!

zenarcher

Apparently, I jumped the gun on this one. I did install Java, but when I go to a website needing Java with Firefox, I'm still getting the notice that I need to have the Java plugin, so apparently I don't have Java working with Firefox. Any help would be appreciated.

Apparently, this is what I must do so Firefox can use the Java install, but not exactly sure how to do it..

Make a symbolic link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in your Mozilla Plugins directory. Unless you are using an old version of Mozilla, or one you compiled yourself with gcc 2.9x, use the copy located in the plugin/i386/ns7 directory of JRE 5.0, or plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32 if you are using JRE 1.4.2.

Thanks again,

zenarcher

I'm not totally sure I follow, but you might want to try looking for the plugins folder in your home dir. ~/.mozilla (the . means its hidden) and go from there. The ~ means current users home folder. I am not TOTALLY sure this is where the plugins folder is. Can someone confirm?

To find libjavaplugin_oji.so do:

find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so

This starts from / and searches for file libjavaplugin_oji.so

Say it returns /foo/java/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Then, to do a symbolic link, goto the plugins folder (where ever it is the symlink needs to be) and type:

ln -s /foo/java/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so

BUT - I dont know what the name of the symlink should be (in this case its libjavaplugin_oji.so) which points to /foo/java/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I always seem to forget about those hidden files. Anyway, I did find /home/zenarcher/.mozilla/plugins in the hidden files of the home directory. Not sure how you find them from a terminal, if I need to do so. Maybe Dan or someone can direct me a bit closer, but I sure appreciate the help and the reminder about hidden files.

Here is what I got on the find:

[root@localhost zenarcher]# find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.2_05/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.2_05/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

zenarcher

greetings zenarcher

You are on the right track already. The file you need is ..

<your_java_dir>/jre/plugins/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

As crazykillerman already suggested you can install the plugin by creating a symbolic link in the firefox-plugins folder in your home dir or you can install it into the main plugins folder of firefox. This directory is just where you installed firefox, e.g.: /usr/local/firefox/plugins.

Keep in mind that you _MUST_ use symbolic links (copying the file to the plugins folder will only give you trouble). Also note that if you link the java-plugin to the main plugins folder, everybody will have java-enabled by default. If you create the symlink in your home directory (~/.mozilla/plugins I think) only you will haveJava enabled.

hope that helps

Okay and I see that is one of the hidden files I found in the home directory. I'm not really sure how to do the symbolic link, though...maybe you can help with that. Everything would be fine in the home directory, as I'm the only one who uses this computer. My wife has her own and I have a shop computer, as well, all on the network, but I'm the only user on mine.

zenarcher

I see:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Goto this dir, and do ls -l

If the libjavaplugin_oji.so has an lrwxrwxrwx (note that the rwx's dont matter - l is important) it is already a symlink, and it should point to a location, if that location is one that you have found using the find command, try changing it with:

Quote:
Then, to do a symbolic link, goto the plugins folder (where ever it is the symlink needs to be) and type:

ln -s /foo/java/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so

In your case, for instance:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

mv ./libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so.bak

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so

For finding hidden files/folders, do a "ls -al"

or, even try "cd ./." (then hit tab after you type the last .)

The preceeding . is for current working directory. To see this, type in "pwd"

Thanks so much for all the help and patience. I followed the instructions and it all worked just great!! I sincerely appreciate the help.

zenarcher

Don't mention it smile

Happy to help.

Note that as blackpage noted, this will be a global install of the java plugin.

Just out of curiousity, was that .so file in the mozilla plugin dir the actual file (not a symlink)? If not, what was it pointing to if it was a symlink? If you remember...

If you followed my instructions, check out the ".bak" file you made in the second step.

I'm guess I'm still in trouble with Java. I thought it was working, but was in a hurry, as I had to go out of town yesterday. Anyway, this morning I've tried to go to several website requiring Java and still get the message with Firefox that I need to install a plugin for Jave. I've also installed RealPlayer, but that's not working as a plugin with Firefox, either. Since I'm such a newbie at this, I'll see if I can get Java working first, then ask for some help with RealPlayer.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but I installed Firefox to home/zenarcher/ and I see there is a hidden mozilla/plugins/ folder there and it has two flashplayer files, but shows nothing else.

I did go into the usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and see the following two files:

libjavaplugin_oji.so

libjavaplugin_oji.so.bak

I hope that helps answer...but if I can check something else, please let me know.

zenarcher

[Edited by zenarcher on 2004-11-18 07:58:50]

[Edited by zenarcher on 2004-11-18 08:02:57]

Well those two files in there are *not* really files. They *should* be symlinks pointing to where java is installed. Think of them as a shortcut like in windows - but are a bit different.

If java is not working in firefox yet, we may not have placed the symlink in the correct location. The 'lib' in the directory we are looking at only reinforces this to me. I think first, we should try your ~/.mozilla directory.

What are the contents of this directory??? Is there a plugins folder?

Quote:
I did go into the usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and see the following two files:

libjavaplugin_oji.so

libjavaplugin_oji.so.bak

I hope that helps answer...but if I can check something else, please let me know.

What I meant was, to check and see if they are symlinks and where they are pointing to. The 'ls -l' command should do it all for you. Just look at the two files, and see if they point somewhere. I bet they dont. Maybe we got the wrong dir alltogether.

Before we move any farther, I would feel more comfortable if we undid everything that we have done.

Type in a terminal window:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

mv ./libjavaplugin_oji.so.bak ./libjavaplugin_oji.so

What this does, is it replaces the libjavaplugin_oji.so file with the original (that maybe shouldnt have been, or may not even be a symlink).

Lets start fresh. Waiting on your reply for the contents of ~/.mozilla

Thanks!

I have a ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. In this, it has the so of my only installed plugin, the flashplayer.

So, lets try this (do above mv command first - just for kicks):

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Okay, I undid what we had done...In fact, I didn't ever try typing it...I did the good old copy and paste from your post and it worked fine...that is done.

Now, here is what I have in the ~/.mozilla area, following your instructions.

[zenarcher@localhost zenarcher]$ cd ~/.mozilla

[zenarcher@localhost .mozilla]$ dir

appreg default firefox mozver.dat pluginreg.dat plugins

Hope I found the right info...

zenarcher

Yup, so far its looking good!

Ok, I see (maybe see PS below - it might not be a dir) a firefox directory...go into that and get a directory listing. Is there another plugin folder in there??? If not, try doing what I had mentioned above:

Quote:
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

**crosses fingers**

PS: Doing a "ls -l" instead of "dir" will give you WAY more info (if an entry is a file/dir/symlink, the permissions it has, etc).

Hmmmm

I just ssh'd into my box and went into ~/.mozilla/firefox/

There was a "pluginreg.dat" and I viewed it using:

less ./pluginred.dat

I see that firefox generates this file, and generates it most likely depending on the plugins that you install with the gui (in this case the firefox browser).

I am unsure if a manual install will work?

Again, I have never done this, I am just taking you through the process's that I would follow if I was stuck in a rutt.

I am VERY interested in the outcome!

Here is what I got from the Firefox directory in Home...

[root@localhost firefox-installer]# dir

browserconfig.properties icons libxpcom.so

chrome install.ini libxpistub.so

components install.log license.txt

components.ini libmozjs.so mozilla-xremote-client

config.ini libnspr4.so plugins

defaults libnss3.so registry

defaults.ini libnssckbi.so res

extensions libplc4.so run-mozilla.sh

firefox libplds4.so searchplugins

firefox-bin libsmime3.so watermark.png

firefox-installer libsoftokn3.chk xpi

firefox-installer-bin libsoftokn3.so xpicleanup

greprefs libssl3.so

header.png libxpcom_compat.so

[root@localhost firefox-installer]# cd plugins

[root@localhost plugins]# dir

libnullplugin.so

[root@localhost plugins]# ls -l

total 20

-rwxr-xr-x 1 zenarcher zenarcher 18840 Nov 7 13:27 libnullplugin.so*

I don't know...hopefully, someone will know how to manually install the Jave plugin for Firefox 1.0. There is no way to auto install it, as if you get the Need Additional Plugin at a Java page in Firefox, you are advised that it must be installed manually with Linux.

I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to Linux, but I'm just wondering if that symbolic link has to be in the plugins located with the firefox-installer....in the home/zenarcher/ folder, rather than in the usr/lib/ area, due to my installing it in home?

Here's what they say on the Firefox site, but not sure how or where to do this.

On Linux

1. Download the Linux version of the Java SDK.

2. When the download is finished, execute the .bin file as root and follow the prompts.

3. When the installation has completed, run this command in the plugins directory of your Firefox installation:

ln -s /path/to/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin.so

zenarcher

OK!

It seems that we are on the right track. The only thing I can think of is this:

Remember:

Quote:

i think it should be (according to step 3 below that you defined):

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so

" 3. When the installation has completed, run this command in the plugins directory of your Firefox installation:

ln -s /path/to/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin.so"

When you install java plugins to ~/.mozilla/plugins, or any plugin for that matter, Firefox will look for those plugins and use them for itself. I always think it's a good idea to install to ~/.mozilla/plugins, so it will already be there in my home directory if I do a re-install or something.

If for some reason it doesn't work doing it from the command line. there is another way. You could do it with Nautilus as root. Go into the directory where the plugin is located, right click on it and choose, "make link." After it creates the link, cut it and move backwards into your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory and paste it. Just to keep things on the up and up, rename it so it doesn't have, "link to" in it's name.

Fire up Firefox and go here. If the coffee cup comes up followed by the clouds animation, you were successful! smile

Quote:
When you install java plugins to ~/.mozilla/plugins, or any plugin for that matter, Firefox will look for those plugins and use them for itself. I always think it's a good idea to install to ~/.mozilla/plugins, so it will already be there in my home directory if I do a re-install or something.

Good point!

I opened a terminal and logged in as su....then tried to run this command...

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so

Apparently, I was in the wrong place, as I get no such files or directory...I'm lost, as usual. I'm beginning to think I should avoid Java and RealPlayer websites.

Maybe you can offer a dumber version...

zenarcher

I opened a terminal and logged in as su....then tried to run this command...

Apparently, I was in the wrong place, as I get no such files or directory...I'm lost, as usual. I'm beginning to think I should avoid Java and RealPlayer websites.

Maybe you can offer a dumber version...

Frustrating...I went into Nautilus and I can see the libjavaplugin_oji.so but can't get the option to make a link...probably because I'm not logged in as root in Nautilus, but I don't know how. Seems that would be an easy way...then cut and paste the link to the mozilla/plugins folder in my Firefox folder in home/zenarcher...where one other plugin for Firefox resides.

zenarcher

[Edited by zenarcher on 2004-11-18 17:41:52]

I don't have a clue how I did it, but managed to drag the file from mozilla plugins to the home/zenarcher/firefox-installer/plugins and tried the link requiring Java and it's working! I won't argue with the how's or why's...since it's working. The icon has a little lock on it and properties show it is owned by root, but I guess that isn't a problem, since it's working.

I'm wondering...can I do the same thing (if I can figure out what it was I did) with RealPlayer, so it will work with Firefox? I would need to know what file in RealPlayer I'd need to drag to the Firefox plugins in the home/zenarcher area, if anyone could help.

zenarcher

Hi zenarcher, I can see you have the tenacity to be a Linux guy! smile

Yes, it will work with the same operation. Did you use Nautilus or konqueror? Locate your Realplayer directory and find, rpnp.so. Pull up two instances of konqueror side by side as root, with one in the directory where rpnp.so is, and the other in ~/.mozilla/plugins. Then drag rpnp.so over into the plugins directory and release. It will then give you the choice of making a link. Then you're done! smile

Good stuff, zenarcher!

I'm somewhat unimpressed with my last reply! I wonder why that file wasnt there?

When using the command line, tab-completion is your best friend.

Open a terminal window and type:

"cd /e" without hitting enter, then hit tab. It should complete to /etc (or if it doesnt, hit tab twice and it will list all directories/files starting from / starting with e - ie: If you have /earth it would list that along with /etc). When typing in a command like:

...hit tab all the time. If the file shows up, its there, if a lsit shows up, continue typing to better "match" so tab completion can do its job. If it doesnt match, or it isnt in the list, its either a) not there or B) check your path. Note: doing cd usr/java is not the same as cd /usr/java

Good luck with realplayer, but what Dapper Dan suggested should work great!