Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Need Help With Java Install

Dan, I've found that one should not even sit down and attempt anything in Linux without a beer within easy reach.

I did it all through Nautilus. I just went into the RealPlayer folders and I can't find anything called rpnp.so Maybe I'l looking for the wrong thing. There are a ton of files and folders there...but not that file. I downloaded and installed the latest RealPlayer...I think it's 10.5, if I remember correctly. Am I looking for the wrong file?

zenarcher

I appreciate the help with the terminal window. Now, if you or Dan can figure out what I'm doing wrong with RealPlayer, I should be able to leave you alone for awhile....probably not long, though. I can't find the rpnp.so which Dan had me looking for to move to the Firefox plugins in home.

zenarcher

Dan, I am using Nautilus. I went through all the folders and files in RealPlayer and I don't see one called rpnp.so Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I downloaded and installed the latest version of RealPlayer....10.5, I believe it is. I find that a nearby can of beer really helps when struggling with Linux. Beer and tenacity...

zenarcher

crazykillerman, if it weren't for the tab key, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be too lazy to continue using Linux! smile

That's good direction on how to use the tab key! My efforts at giving directions on how to use it in the past have been unclear at best!

Originally posted by zenarcher:

Quote:
Dan, I've found that one should not even sit down and attempt anything in Linux without a beer within easy reach.

I did it all through Nautilus. I just went into the RealPlayer folders and I can't find anything called rpnp.so Maybe I'l looking for the wrong thing. There are a ton of files and folders there...but not that file. I downloaded and installed the latest RealPlayer...I think it's 10.5, if I remember correctly. Am I looking for the wrong file? zenarcher

Yes, my mistake. I assumed you were using an earlier version. The new version should let you install the link through the install itself. It asks if you want to link /usr or some such thing...

Hmm....now that I have already installed RealPlayer, is there anything I can do to get the plugin into the home/zenarcher/firefox-installer/plugin area where I need it? I don't remember anything like that when I went through the install screens...but maybe it did and put the file somewhere other than where I needed it....like in usr/local/mozilla/plugins What do you think?

The only file I see common to Realplayer and also in Mozilla plugins is nphelix.so I wonder if that could be the one I need to make a link in firefox plugins?

zenarcher

I made a linkin home/zenarcher/firefox-installer/plugins for nphelix.so Now that I've done that, when I go to a website requesting that I download the Realplayer plugin, I no longer get the message that the RealPlayer plugin is not installed. It is appearing on the website, like Firefox has the RealPlayer plugin. Only problem...I don't hear anything. Sound is working fine on as far as everything else on the system is concerned. Just no sound when trying to use RealPlayer plugin in Firefox.

I also found a website which seemed to indicate I'd have to have a symbolic link to nphelix.xpt in the firefox/plugins, which I moved by dragging, just as with the other files, but still no sound. I can open RealPlayer, itself and everything looks fine, sound is not muted or anything.

zenarcher