Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dapperdan & danleff rock!

OpenGL probs, maybe 3d accel?

Hello, I'm using Mepis and my screen savers don't work. i.e. GLmatrix. i haven't tried to run any games but I want me screen savers to work. when I click test screen saver my screen just freezes until I click. in the little sample box it is just black..

I am thinking that you have no 3d acceleration.

What kind of video card do you have? and what version of xorg are you running? I guess I could have looked at mepis's homepage lol...That would tell me. I can't remeber if its even Xorg. Maybe Xfree? I dunno /babble

Xorg 6.8.0 has no support for ATi binary drivers.

To test opengl performance type:

"glxgears" in a command terminal. I get about 2000 fps using a radeon 8500.

Another thing to test, is to use:

glxinfo | grep direct

The above will display "Direct Rendering: Yes" if it is enabled.

Gentoo has a really cool guide (if you were building from scratch using Gentoo) but it's kind of a good way to show you what needs to be done...that is, if your using a radeon base card.

gentoo-radeon-faq

Thats a good page to check it out. Note the kernel stuffs, xorg and the supported cards.

Also, the direct rendering thing may say "yes" but if there is a mesa stirng or something, you are using an open source kernel/module support - I really dont know to much about mesa. The whole driver thing in Linux is somewhat new to me (installing ati-drivers and loading fglrx module at boot, etc, etc)