Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

buying new DVD dual-layer burner (there is no Sims2 in this post)

Firstly I must apologise for making a post that has no relevance or link to Sims2 given that this is now a Sims2 help line.

I am going to buy a new DVD dual-layer burner and was wondering if people had recommendations. I am undecided between the pioneer drives and the sony drives.

I'll most likely be buying from these people:

http://www.gamedude.com.au/

and here are their available products:

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_list.php?maingroup=CD%20/%20DVD%20BURNER&secondgroup=DVD-BURNER

Thanks for any input,

F.

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:
Firstly I must apologise for making a post that has no relevance or link to Sims2 given that this is now a Sims2 help line.

LOL! No joke!

laugh

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...

My opinion on Dual-Layer burners is either Sony or Aopen. We sell a lot of both brands at the company I work for wink

If I had to go with a name brand for personal reason's then I would choose a Plextor smile

Has anyone come across, in a major retail stores, 9.4GB DVR+/R media? I have not. Is there any reason why they are not available at all, while DL Writers are so abundant and cheap?

I've got an NEC 2510A DVD-RW drive and have had no problems writing dual layer discs; although they're so expensive I've only written one or two.

It's an 8x writer, but NEC have replaced it with the 3500A, which can write at 16x.

Felix

I would go with the Pioneer drive

They have good media compatiblity and they do 4x DL burning which is a big deal.

Plus they work in PC or MAC and they have frequent firmware updates for compatibility.

So i went ahead and bought a Pioneer DVR-108 (Dual Layer) and got it for $AU112 ($US84).

Hopefull all goes well and I can concentrate on the fact my ADSL stopped working for no good reason. Can't even connect. frown

Go for the NEC 3500 or Pioneer.

BTW sony doesn't make drives, the just relabel them, so you pay more. smile

From what I've seen the 9GB DVD media are about $10 per disc. Had intented on backing up my DVD collection but looks like I'll only be backing up the 4.7GB one's.

I could Divx 'em but I prefer the original media format for a backup.