Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjstone03

disk quotas

I can't seem to get disk quotas running with Redhat9. Everytime I modify the fstab file the machine will say, during reboot, it's dropping to a shell, in which case I run init 5 and change the fstab file back to the way it was. I guess my question is, do disk quotas have to be enabled on a seperate partition? I have 3 partitions- /, boot, swap(dual booting w/win2kserv.). I'm trying to enable quotas for the users(ten users, 20 mb each) home folders in the /home directory. Any suggestions? I think I've tried every possible combination in that fstab file.

That's usually evidence of asyntax error in your fstab. can you post what the fstab looks like when it's bombing on you. I've never had disk quotas on /home when it's mounted on teh same part as / I always have /home in it on partition.

okay, here's the fstab file:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

What I want to do is enable quotas for "/home" which is on the "/", on hda5. I've tried adding lines:

LABEL=/ /home ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

then

LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

and finally

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

the 3rd one didn't give me an error, but I still couldn't start quotas.

it looks like it might be working. What I did was in the first line of the fstab file(LABEL=/.....) I added usrquota. Then I rebooted successfully and forced a quotacheck. This is the farthest I've gotten, and it's lookin good.