Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Harddrive disappearing

I recently put in a second harddrive into one of my systems as a spare. It is a 60gig Maxtor. The bios finds the drive no problem and windows sees it fine as well. I formated the drive and i now use it to store files.

The problem im having is ill be on my computer and go to access that second harddrive and it says it cant find the drive. Ill go in device manager and it wont be there anymore, Also in my computer and in disk manager its gone. Its like the drive just disapperd?..Whats weird is that this drive was originaly in a newer system and this never happend. But now that i put it in this older system this happens. What i usually do is just reboot and it finds it no problem and i can use the drive for a while and then it happens again and i have to reboot. The computer specs for the computer are:

Intel PII 450Mhz CPU

Intel 440bx Mobo

ATI RageII

Windows xp pro

4gig drive(windows)

60gig storage

My only thoughts would be the powersupply might not have juice to power the two harddrives plus everything else. Im not sure though as the powersupply is a 350W which should be enough even though its a no-name powersupply. But like i say it was working in my newer system for ever with no problems which is also running a 350w power supply but a newer msi board with a P4. I thought maby the motherboard has restrictions but while trying to look up this problem, i found many people have larger newer drives on the 440bx motherbaords so i dont know. And yes i have updated to the newest bios for the mobo and drivers. And still nothing. Any suggestions would be great

Thanx

Masterfinn

Go to maxtor website and download their diagnostic program.

If using cable select on the drive, set it to it's proper jumper setting either Primary or Slave.

Is the hard drive on the same IDE cable as the primary HD? Might want to try sticking it on the secondary controller.

You said you updated the drivers....You mean the IDE drivers right? Sometimes they may not update correctly, so go into Device Manager and verify that the proper date/file version for those drivers.

The actual wattage of the power supply doesn't matter, what does matter is how much power is being supplied from the power supply to your devices. I doubt it's a power issue anyway, what you listed is more than enough for that system.

If you are still having the same problem...try this simple fix I discovered after trying many differant solutions to the same problem. Get a new IDE cable. lol. After about 3 months of fighting with my computer I had almost giving up, then like magic, after I put in a spare that I had gotten for my new system, Poof no more problems.