Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anjanesh

Linux equivalent of Window's C:\Program Files

Hi

Totally new to Linux. Just installed FC2.

Whats the Linux equivalent of Window's "C:\Program Files"

I want to install some apps but the default dir for some is the sam dir as the one where app was downloaded (desktop for example). I would like to know where these apps generally goto like Window's C:\Program Files

Thanks

Generally if you install an RPM it will put it in the right spot.

Most executables go in /usr/bin or /usr/share/bin, but others go into a bin directory under an application directory - it varies. Good advice is to use RPM's or yum to do the install and it takes care of it for you. yum generally istalls well supported programs or libraries and updates OS versions and doesn't handle smaller less well disributed stuff.

You can always locate the executables with "locate executableName" or "whereis executableName".

1. Well I downloaded FireFox for Linux and after extracting the tar.gz file theres a bin and a shellscript file. So the default location is dir where it got the shellscript file from.

2. Im downloading J2SE 1.5 which is a bin file. Should I download the rpm file instead ?

I always find RPMs a bit more reliable to install. My suggestion is - if yum can install it use yum, because it also looks after dependencies, if yum can't do it use the RPM, else use the tar.gz.

This is my personal preference - others may have a different slant !!

Where can I find this yum if its already installed with FC2 ? And how do I associate bin files with it ? I thought bins are Window's exes ?

If not then which ones are the real executables ? I mean - which one contains the asm code like in Win exes ?

yum should be installed with FC2. If not you should be able to find the rpm - it was installed with FC2 on my machine so I haven't had to look for it.

It should be in /usr/bin with all the config etc. in /usr/share/yum. Make sure your $PATH includes /usr/bin ( surprised if it doesn't - but )

Sorry couldn't get to the original post - but, there is no one-to-one equivalance between C:\windows\program files and executables under Fedora.

The closest is /usr/bin, /usr/share/bin, /usr/local/bin - but other apps are installed in an app directory, generally in the ./bin directory.

The unix directory conventions were in place before windows was even thought of.

Unix was not originally designed as an operating system, but was originally intended as an OS toolbox. It really needs a GUI, like Gnome, sitting over it to provide acces to the lower level toolbox functions.

Read some of the early writings of guys like Ken Thompsom et. al. to get a better vioew of Unix and its origins. Try "http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch02s01.html"

Different angle. I have Apache and MySQL installed during installation of FC2. Now I downloaded the latest releases of both Apache and MySQL and now want to replace both of the current ones with the new ones. Obviously I dont want to have 2 copies of both in 2 different locations. So I need to know where these both are already installed and I'll extract the files (overwrite) to those locations.

Thanks

Originally posted by paultazzyman:

Quote:
It really needs a GUI, like Gnome, sitting over it to provide acces to the lower level toolbox functions.

I disagree with this completly. UNIX is a full fledge OS and it has been so dramaticly redesinged from it's conception back in the berkly days. I'm a unix administrtor and for security reasons not one of my 70 systems uses a gui. I still have all the tools availble to me. If anything unix guis get in teh way of the OS... but this is off topic just had to get it out there.

Just one last OT comment - I agree - I very rarely use the GUI - real people use command lines and cron so they don't have to use command lines