Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matthew is my name

Nvidia driver problems

I am running win98se with an Nvidia Geforce2 mx 200 video card. Earlier tonight, I downloaded the trial version of HALO (yea, I know I'm a bit behind the times). I had to upgrade to directx9 and then was told that my video driver was not compatible with HALO. I downloaded version 61.76 from Nvidia's website with all its backward compatabilities, to have it still not work.!? What the F@*&?. Am I just to cheap and old for this to work, without buying new, or am I missing somthing?

Thanks for any help, and be nice damnit!

Matt.

Never attempted to play Halo on a GF2 before....that's like sacrilege considering Halo was designed to run on the XBox which has a Geforce 3 (3.5 if you want to call it that). It's likely that since Halo makes heavy usage of shaders and that your graphics card doesn't support them that the game won't run. Not sure if Nvidia drivers can emulate shaders or not...you may have to upgrade to at least a Geforce 3...but if your still running Windows 98SE and a GF2 I doubt you have the CPU power for Halo....if you don't you might as well but a $150 XBOX and $50 Halo 2 or a $30 copy of Halo. Would probly be much cheaper. That would be the best route if you could stand no AA/Ansio, horrible FPS controls with a gamepad, and blurry image quality. wink

Thanks, I guess that's probably the easier way to go. I am running an AMD@1.4 gig. I could move up to XP but I still like 98 and it's pretty stable (plus all the hackers have gotten bored with it...no nasty critical fixes every other week). Thanks again for the advice.

Matt.

Matthew is My Name.

NVIDIA has one driver package for each group of their video cards. Great Cards, easy to set up. I recommend downloading DirectX 9.0b. Then after installing it, click on Start, Run, type dxdiag hit enter. Go to 3rd folder at the bottom of the page are 3 tests you can execute to test the video card for 3d ect. GOOD LUCK!! and I have an AGP NVIDIA Geoforce 440 4X 64MB in you need it. LATE! smile