Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

installing few things in fc3

i just switched over to fc3 and have a few questions as to installing something first thing is i need to get a file

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

where would i get that file note i did do a straight upgrade from core 2

Next is how do you kill the x server i know how to switch via ctrl+alt+FX but how do you stop it because i want to install the nvidia drver

so in a sense i would insert what here

[root@razorskyline /] something like kill x

What are you trying to install? From source, or rpm?

Go to the Mandrake Control Panel and install software section (I think it is start-->configure-->configure your computer-->install softare) and look to see if libstdc++5 rpm is installed. Also look for the devel package. If either or both are not installed, do so.

When you installed Mandrake, I bet you did not choose to install the development files. These libraries are needed to compile packages.

init 1 will bring you down to single user mode and kill all services and put you in a maintence mode.

pkill X may work but I think X tries to respawn you can pkill gdm too that will do it.

Try the following

"rpm -q --whatprovides libstdc++.so.5"

this should return

"libstdc++-3.3.3-7"

Then try "yum upgrade libstdc++-3.3.3-7"

and the whole thing should just happen like pure magic. If it doesn't you were obviously holding your tongue out of the wrong side of your mouth so try replacing upgrade with install.

all right yum is missing that same file so it wont work and danleff im using fedora core 3

im not goint to mess with x i just want to get that file

so what would i search on google to find it because i did some searching and i didnt find it, or is it part of the gcc

Not quite sure what you mean by "yum is missing that file" - the purpose is for yum to go and get that file.

Can you post the yum output ? and the command line !!

all right thanks for the help i used up2date it finally worked and got it fixed through that it seems through the upgrade i got some broken packages

thanks again

Re the broken packages - there have been a lot of updates lately for both FC 2 and FC 3. Have you tried

yum list updates

to see what it thinks is out of date? Then either do

yum update

to load what it wants to do to update your system, or selectively update individual items.

I have found that not all the mirror sites have all the files, so adjusting the yum.conf to a good mirror near you is a good idea.

Best wishes

John