Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bungalowbob

Kernal Panic Mandrake 10.1

Hi, New (attempted new anyway) linux user. I have a 1,800 AMD machine with a 1/2 gig of memory, cd with burner, floppy, keyboard and mouse and a new 40 gig hd. When I put the first disc of the Mandrake 10.1 Community program that I got from linuxcd.com it starts to load than tells me that there is a "kernel panic - fatal exception in interrupt handler - not syncing". The kernel version is 2.6.8.1 Any ideas on how I can solve this? I am using a 2nd machine to post this. Thanks for any ideas offered.

I would try downloading CD #1 of Mandrake 10.1 again, and maybe even get it from another site. can't hurt. I use 10.1 comunity and had not ran into that problem.

Is this a desktop or laptop system? Is it an Asus motehrboard by any chance (or an HP system)?

Do you just have a cdrw in the system, or a cdrom drive as well?

Are you booting with the 1st cd in the cdrom (if you have one) or cdrw drive?

I have a problem with MDK 10.1 Community too.

When booting the CD to install, it shows a lot of lines all about hda and hdb (Can't remember the error message now). Can it be that problem that we have to boot with the second cd?

BTW: I have a P4 2.8GHz, 2 discs, 1Gig of ram and a single DVD+/-RW drive.

Thanks for the repies:Here are the responses to your questions

TO Jenova_Zero I can't download cd#1 as the computer has no operating system. I am working from purchased cd's from linuxcd.org

TO Danleff The system is a homebuilt desktop with a Gigabyte GA-7vaxp board kt400 series. I have only a Sony cdrw drive and I set the bios to boot from that drive.

HELP and THANKS!!!!

Thanks for the repies:Here are the responses to your questions

TO Jenova_Zero I can't download cd#1 as the computer has no operating system. I am working from purchased cd's from linuxcd.org

TO Danleff The system is a homebuilt desktop with a Gigabyte GA-7vaxp board kt400 series. I have only a Sony cdrw drive and I set the bios to boot from that drive.

HELP and THANKS!!!!

bungalowbob, a couple of things come to mind.

You have only 1 drive in the system? If so, look to see if the promise raid is set in the bios. If so, disable it and try the install again. If it is disabled, read on.

Is the current drive formatted? If so, what utility did you use to format the drive?

I have a board not unlike yours. If I remember right, I had to set acpi=off during the install.

When you get the terminal window after booting the cd, try typing on at the prompt;

linux acpi=off

See if the install continues without error.

I had a very similar problem, "interrupt handler - not syncing."

I tried booting the install CD with acpi=off, I tried removing all PCI cards except video card and drives except the cdrom and hard drive, tried swapping out the hard drive and resetting bios to defaults... etc.

Nothing worked until I swapped out my afree 52x cdrom drive for a spare from an old compaq. Now everything is working fine!

Don't know why that drive was a problem, I've used it on a different system to install Mandrake distros since 8.1. Maybe it's just something about the combination of that particular motherboard, cdrom, and 10.1 that caused problems.

Hope this might give you a lead that will help your situation. smile