Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

**URGENT** Can I use a "P4 approved" PSU in an AMD based system?

In a bit of a desperate situation here:

My PSU makes a high pitched vibrating sound (starts about a minute after boot up, gets louder and more insistant till you power off)

The machine was put together about 3 years ago by a guy who lives down the road. He doesn't supply my make and model of PSU anymore (Codegen 300X1), but he does have 300-350W PSUs in stock.

However he says they are "Intel P4 approved" and that AMD only recommends you use PSUs approved by them for systems with their processors. Is there really any harm in using one PSU over another? Or is this another brandname scam?

My processor is an AMD Socket A Athlon T-Bird 1.1GHz, on a ABIT KT7E systemboard.

Since I use my system to write my academic essays on (and deadlines are looming) can somebody please tell me if they think it would be ok for me to just shove the dealer's "P4 approved" PSU into my system as it is, or if not can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

I will supply extra details about my HW setup and configuration if necessary.

Thank you.

Yes I can see where the confusion comes into play here wink

I've always used P4 approved power supplies with AMD Athlon systems and they all work just fine.

You will not have to use the extra auxillary power connector(s) that come with these power supplies however, so just zip tie them up out of the way and all will be good to go laugh

Thanks guys I will go and pickup my shiny new PSU... smile

Now... to fit it (is very clusmy with his hands) 8)